Old Baseboard heating system

Old 01-05-16, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Baseboard heating system

I have a Weil McLain heating system. Model :P-CG-5 Series number: 1
It heats the water and circulates the hot water on three floors via baseboards. This season it seems to be on it's last leg.

Issue is the control board on the unit is not working. I am not sure what the part is called but there is a switch that moves when thermostat calls upon it and gas valve opens for bigger flame. I had an electrican/handyman look at the system to see if he can find the board anywhere. My unit is very old probably built back in early 1970s. He coundn't find the part. Heating seems to work if i leave three zone valves in open position. I kept it like that last night and till this morning heat was working. All the baseboards were nice and warm. This morning I switched it back to AUTO mode to see if it still works with thermostat. I will know when i get back home in the evening. I am adding some pictures fo the system and close picture of the system board I am talking about.Board is made by White Rodgers. I try searching on the internet but didnt' find anything.
Name:  IMG_2681.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  30.3 KBName:  IMG_2678.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  38.5 KBName:  IMG_2679.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  40.6 KBName:  IMG_2677.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  41.3 KBName:  IMG_2683.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  35.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-16, 10:35 AM
I found this post on this site
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ment-pn.html#b
This is my exact problem. I am not sure if i need the replacement part mentioned on this form.

Old 01-05-16, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
You have a W/R 8F42A-5 aquastat. Similar to the one in that thread.

You should have a circulator pump..... is that running ?

Old 01-05-16, 12:45 PM
There is a red motor pump. You can see it in second picture. It's in front of the expansion tank. Pump is on/running but I don't think there is a any water being pushed. Water pressure is almost down to zero and the flame is not fully on. I have to wiggle the relay/switch to get the flame to go on. Sometimes it sticks to the side which causes the system to stay on all the time.

Old 01-05-16, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
It sounds like the relay is arced or corroded. Having low to no water pressure is also a problem. Your boiler probably has low water protection which will keep the burner from lighting. You need to increase the water in the system to get the water pressure up.

If you add water..... add it slowly or make sure the boiler is cooler. Adding cold water to a hot boiler can be dangerous.

When the thermostat calls for heat... that relay should close. You may get the burner to start but the pump should definitely start.

Old 01-05-16, 01:35 PM
I do add water to the system but still no dice. Water temp is also low so not worried about entering cold water into already hot system. All pipes are cold. Burner is not kicking in. Only thing running is the pump. Not sure if I get the replacement part will my issue get resolved?

Old 01-05-16, 02:47 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Oops, wrong thread........................................

Old 01-05-16, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
You said you left the zone valves open all night and got heat. Now you're saying the burner isn't running. If the burner isn't running you shouldn't get any heat.

I can't tell if you have a 24v system or a millivolt system. Do you have a test meter ?
We need to check across B1 and B2 for voltage when the burner is supposed to be running.

Name:  1213713616_VDLnp-M.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  31.7 KB

Old 01-05-16, 08:52 PM
I don't have a voltmeter. When I keep the zone valves in open mode and wiggle the relay switch then the burners turn on. It stays on until I keep it on open. Once I put it back on auto the burners will turn off and only the motor stays on. All the pipes get cold, water pressure is down to zero and water temperature is close to zero.

Old 01-06-16, 05:39 AM
This morning I put the zone valve back in to auto. Circulator motor/pump was still running burners were off. I walked away for about half hour. Came back and motor is still running and burners are off. I left it in zone valve in auto and try to wiggle the relay switch. Burners came on for about 10 seconds and turned off. There is something wrong with the White Rodgers box specially the switch part of it. It doesn't want to turn on while in auto mode with Thermostat. Should I just buy the Honeywell replacement part?

Old 01-11-16, 09:06 AM
Hello everyone, I am going to close this thread and start a new question.
It seems like I don't have the Aquastat issue.