radiators not warming up enough

Old 01-06-16, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
radiators not warming up enough

Hello,
I have a Boderus GB142. I am experiencing the following issue:
The radiators do not stay hot for a long period of time even if the thermostat demands it. After a while, the radiators only get warm and then, they become cold, even though the thermostat still demands heat.

background.
It is a Hot water Gas boiler. About 8 years old. There are 3 zones.
Zone 1: Has 2 radiators in basement.
Zone 2: Has 4 radiators on 1st Fl.
Zone 3: Has 7 Radiators on 2nd fl.

What I noticed:
1. Zone 1 manifold is hot most of times, even though thermostat doesn't demand for heat. The radiators always hot. even if thermostat is off.
2. Boiler display shows a temp of 180 degrees.
Boiler gauge shows a temperature of 220 degrees.
3. Zone 2 manifold shows a temp of 181 degrees. This concurs with boiler display temperature. Eventually, after a few hours, the manifold gauge will show the same temperature, but the radiators will become cold.
4. Zone 3 manifold shows a temp of 100 degrees, but it feels like 80 degrees. I can keep my hands on the manifold for as long as I want. Radiators are warm. Eventually they will become cold.
5. sometimes a zone radiators gets hotter then other zone radiators. for example, right now, zone 2 is hotter then zone 3. this concurs with temp shown on manifold gauge.
6. thermostats demand heat. circulators seem to be running. boiler shows a temp of 180 - 185 degrees. yet, a zone would show a temperature of 90-110 degrees at times. this is when you feel that zone radiators a little warm. Yet, other zone manifold may have a temperature of 180 degrees.

What I have done:
1.I checked the thermostats and wiring. cross checked that when turning on thermostats, the circulator shows the sign of on and water circulating. It is concurred with the boiler firing up and the zone manifold show a high temperature.
2.I bled the radiators several times.
3.I flushed the system by putting a host at the manifold and letting the water out and wait until water became transparent.
4.I checked the thermostatic valves on each radiator. removed and place back to ensure pin was not stuck, etc.

A plumber came to my house and said the zone controller was damaged. He replaced it and the problem still there. -Not calling him again.

hopefully I have given enough details someone can tell me where the problem is so I can call a real plumber and hopefully he can get this issue resolved. I dont want to be calling plumbers and getting different stories.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-16, 06:52 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm only going to comment on the plumber. You paid him to fix it, why wouldn't you call them back and tell them they didn't fix the problem. They should make good of their work.

Old 01-06-16, 07:10 AM
thank you for the reply. Yes, I have called the plumber, about 9 times already. and guess what?
No call back!

Old 01-06-16, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Does your system use zone valves and one circulator ?

Old 01-06-16, 10:31 AM
Pete,
thank you for your reply.
My system uses Bell & Gossett 1" Threaded Straight Angle Flow Control.
The circulator pump is is a Bell & Gossett NRF-22.

Boiler is currently running. Thermostats for zones 1 and 2 are set to 75 degrees. thermostat controller shows both green lights on. radiators on zone 1 (first floor) are hot. radiators on zone 2 (2nd floor) are a little warm.

Circulators appear to be running. I can hear the flow of water in the pipe.

Old 01-06-16, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
So then you have three circulator pumps.... one for each zone ?

Old 01-06-16, 10:41 AM
Apologies. I jut realized I misread your question about the circulator.

Correct, I have one circulator for each zone. So I have 3 circulators.

Old 01-07-16, 08:18 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you hear the water in the pipes you either have low water pressure or air in the system.

Old 01-07-16, 08:51 PM
You'd be doing everyone a favor if you post some pictures of the boiler and the piping around it. Has the system ever worked properly or is this a new problem.?

Also, the downstairs rads should not be hot when there is no call for heat. Something is off here.

Old 01-07-16, 11:08 PM
Q: Tell us about the zone controller; model and what the settings are.