Oil Hot Water Heater keep shutting off

Old 01-08-16, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Hot Water Heater keep shutting off

My oil beckett hot water heater had a problem not igniting couple of weeks ago. Replaced the transformer and it worked liked a charm.

2 weeks later, it shut off and even with the reset button it wouldn't do nothing, I could hear buzzing noise from the unit (furnace) but nothing else. I replaced nozzle, check filters, check oil flow everything seem to be proper. Googled it and stumbled on a forum mentioning hold RESET button for 40 seconds to bring motor out of lock position. On third try with bleeding value 1/4 open, furnace ignited and worked fine for a week or so. All of a sudden same problem. I tried 40 second reset trick but not working. Not sure where to go from here or what to check. Could be pump problem ? Any help or tip will be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-16, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Does your Oil Pump have a Strainer/Screen that may be clogged ?

Old 01-08-16, 10:55 AM
Thanks for reply.

Yes, it has and i checked the screen it looks very clean, replaced it last year. Not sure what strainer is ?

I just googled strainer, Yup that's the screen i checked. I called it oil pump screen. :>.

Old 01-08-16, 11:23 AM
The two terms are used pretty much interchangeably . . . . I think !

Many Service people neglect to change or clean the screen/strainer; some don't even know that it exists . . . . or prefer to sell entire pumps when there's a clog.

All I know is that this is the last stop for the oil before it's sent down to the nozzle. down to the nozzle

PS: Still, I once found my whole gun tube filled with sludge; and had to clean it out with a pipe cleaner despite all this filtration !

Last edited by Vermont; 01-08-16 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added PostScript;
Old 01-08-16, 04:02 PM
Cleaning tube sounds like a good idea, and I bought new nozzle, strainer/screen, and oil pump filter anyways, what the hey while i'm at it i'd replace them again. That's my tonight after work project will let you know tomorrow how it works out.

PS. Did i mention, after hitting reset button, i don't hear oil pump going at all ? just wanted to bring this to your attention in case i should look into anything else.... typically you hear motor running but not igniting or fuel not getting through but i don't hear anything, if i lift up the transformer i see that has a strong spark.

Old 01-08-16, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by MyJag
". . . Did i mention, after hitting reset button, i don't hear oil pump going at all ? just wanted to bring this to your attention in case i should look into anything else . . ."
I don't know, I'm just a Real Estate Broker out in the boonies who's a DIYer like you . . . . a real technician will have to chime in on this sooner or later.

That sludge in my gun tube used to allow just enough oil to seep through to the nozzle to start the burner for a for a few seconds and cause me to get excited and think my troubles were over, when it would die again. It's fun to remember how gullible I was.

Old 01-08-16, 07:16 PM
Myjag –

I’m also no expert for sure, but with the help of this forum I’ve been doing periodic maintenance on my own boiler system for years with no problems. I think it is possible that the buzz you hear when the motor doesn’t start could indicate a problem with the motor windings. In other words, the motor might just have had it. It could be that the motor problem – if it is - was intermittent but is now total failure.

If you are sure the burner control came out of the lockout state then I think the motor should run if there is a call for heat from the thermostat. What control is on the burner?

You might have to use a multi-meter to check the voltage at the motor. I think there are also problems where the fuel pump freezes up and I guess you would also hear a motor buzz in that case (I’m not sure) but I think that type of problem is much rarer (again not 100% sure).

p.s. forgot to mention. I think another test is to tap the motor when it is buzzing (but I don't think you are supposed hit it real hard) to see if that gets it going.

Last edited by zoesdad; 01-08-16 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 01-08-16, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys for replying. Buzzing noise if from transformer. (Solid spark b/w rings). Can't seem to find video on how to check motor with multi meter, any tips on that will be great.

Have changed all filters and have tried 45 seconds resets numerous times. But in vain. Please helppp !!!!

What should I go for if decide to replace motor or oil pump. And how can I make ensure system is out of lock before I go changing parts. Pleassseee help...!!!

Old 01-09-16, 12:27 AM
Fixed it. Atlast for now. Reset button 40 seconds than pressed motor reset button while bleed valve on, motor kicked in, had to lift put down transformer to ignite and there we had the flame I strived. It worked !!!!!

Its almost 3 am in new york, can finally goto bed after shower. Good night and thanks all.

Old 01-09-16, 10:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
If you had to press the small reset button on the motor itself, you have either a bad motor or a fuel pump sticking. The next time it locks out, separate the motor from the pump & turn each shaft by hand. One will likely feel as if it is hanging up.

Old 01-09-16, 01:21 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks Grady for your help.

Great suggestion will def. keep in mind, until/if motor locks out again. It's better to troubleshoot instead of just keep resetting the motor that could lead to possibly bigger problems. If this episode repeats, will keep you guys posted for sure.

Was wondering after motor kicked in why i had to lift/down the transformer to ignite, it has strong spark all the time.

Old 01-10-16, 01:49 PM
Indeed it shutdown again but back up running by simple system reset button in less than 5 seconds. Read on blog that if transformer cad cell doesn't ignite on time it can also trigger shutdown. Couldn't find cad cell ignitor, just see two rings on transformer and they GOT power.

Tonight about to strip motor to see any tear on couplings as well.

Open to any suggestion guys, so feel free

Different pattern of problems here

Old 01-10-16, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cad cell & ignitor are two completely different parts. The 'ignitor' & transformer are the same. The cad cell is connected via two wires (usually yellow) to the F-F terminals on the control. Here is a cad cell with holder & wires.
C554A1794 - Honeywell C554A1794 - Cadmium-Sulfide Flame Detector w/ 60" leads

Old 01-13-16, 03:35 PM
Thanks Grady,

I don't see cad cell anywhere to be found in my furnace, normally it's by two rings typically in transformer. I recently changed transformer, and i didn't come across cad cell at that time either. Is it possible my furnace doesn't have cad cell ? I looked around but couldn't get the answer, seems like every video on you tube and blogs states existence of cad cell.

Now, problem with the furnace is, it's runs for one cycle or sometimes few cycles prior to shutdown. But works after 5 second reset, puffs smoke on ignition assuming it's burning oil in chamber. I'm assuming it's spraying extra fuel on shutoff/restart causing system shutdown or the controller is not working properly. Didn't find any leaks in fuel line either. Very annoying to reset every time you gotta use hot water. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-16, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something is causing an ignition problem. Are the electrodes set properly? Would you please take & post some photos of the burner & water heater? A couple of wide angle so we can see the whole thing & then some close ups of the burner would be helpful.

Old 01-14-16, 09:03 AM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Starting Point

It would really help this discussion to know brand and model number of burner primary control.