Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil burner boiler problems

Hi..I have a Burnham Oil Burner Furnace Model number PV83WC - TBWN
Beckett motor Model # 707 504
It has a France ignitor
Carlin Relay(reset switch) Model @ 60200-02
Honeywell Aquastat Model #L8148A
It Runs two zones both with Honeywell RA832A box
Anyway I have started having problems with furnace shutting off and restarting...to explain more I am "NOT" tripping the reset button, it is out of nowhere shutting off then restarting...over and over. It may run 10 minutes and re-cycle right back on or minutes or 30 seconds...sometimes the light comes on to restart and it re-cycles to restart before it even tries to start. The flame seems to be fine and all seems to run fine and heat fine. It seems to be some kind electrical problem but not sure how to track down what it is to replace it. Another thing I've noticed is if starting from cold ( meaning it hasn't ran in long time that boiler water temp all the way down) that it will run through full cycle up to temp and shut off just fine. It starts the re-cycling when its running often just trying to maintain temp.
Furnace was cleaned and new nozzle, fuel filter...ect all put in this year as always...actually do it twice a season.
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm taking some pictures tonight in case anyone wants to see anything specific

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-16, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread to the boiler forum and changed the title. You have a boiler as it heats water. A furnace heats air.

I'm not the oil pro but we'll be able to help you.

Old 01-09-16, 05:40 PM
A
Sorry

Sorry...was my fault...new to this site...was looking in correct forum when looking for similar problems but when I went to post a new thread I posted it in the wrong one

Old 01-09-16, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Not a problem.

That is a cold start control. That means no domestic hot water coil in use.
When you call for heat.... the pump and burner runs. When the boiler temperature reaches the set high heat shut off point.... the burner will shut down and the pump will keep running.

When the boiler cools off the burner restarts again to bring the water back up to the high temp setting again. This cycle continues all during the call for heat.

Old 01-09-16, 06:50 PM
A
yes that is correct...have had oil boiler's in general for prob 20-25 years and know what everything does but not necessarily the correct terminology sometimes

Old 01-09-16, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... so based on my explanation.... is the system operating that way or is something amiss ?

You can watch the temperature gauge on the boiler.... the cycling should correspond to the temperature.

Old 01-09-16, 08:35 PM
A
yes while burner is running everything seems to be running fine...flame looks good ect. Then it just shuts down...and re-fires and starts right back up ( not tripping reset button at all ) It can run 10 minutes, it could run 3 minutes, it could run seconds...there is no rhyme or reason and will shut down & do it again. It doesn't do this all the time, but goes through fits of this 5-6 times a day if running often and will restart itself 10-15 times just to run one cycle to get up to temp...something I didn't mention earlier cause I forgot...it doesn't matter what zone is calling for heat either...it really seems like something is shorting and killing power...which to me would mean either the aquastat or relay ( reset ) has a short or is bad, but can't find anything on internet about one of these acting this way when going bad so kind of why asking for help

Old 01-09-16, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
If just the burner is shutting down and the circulator pump is still running then it could be a problem with the aquastat itself. Possibly a defective relay.

If you have a meter..... check the burner terminals (B1, B2) to see if the 120vac is being shut off by the aquastat. If the power is turning on and off..... the aquastat is the issue. If the power is staying on and the burner is shutting down...... the problem is in the burner system.

Name:  L8148A.jpg
Views: 2755
Size:  31.4 KB

Old 01-09-16, 09:09 PM
A
I will check the aquastat tomorrow...as to other part you said problem would be in burner system...what exactly are you meaning...like the burner relay or motor itself?

Old 01-09-16, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
like the burner relay or motor itself
Yes.... whatever that aquastat controls.

Old 01-10-16, 06:03 PM
D
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Diagnostics the easy way, go modern

The first question is why burner shuts down? Getting the answer would be a lot easier with a modern controller that displays burner status and logs history. The Honeywell R7284 has a digital status display for less than $100. It also many features including safety ones that the 20 year old Carlin control lacks.

Your can watch the R7284 controller display step thru each stage of the process. If it locks out because of a fault History will show why. Just make sure to use the Red "Limit" terminal to activate it on call for heat.

Last edited by doughess; 01-10-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 08:30 AM
Z
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
hi folks –

I’m no expert, but is this the correct burner control on pages 20-21 of this manual?

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/assets...ner-manual.pdf

If so then maybe what is happening is “Flame Failure” as described on page 21. However, if the flame failed you would see the red LED flashing for 65 seconds and then go OFF, followed by an automatic restart.

The only thing is I guess you should have noticed the red LED blinking for 65 seconds if you were at the burner, which I guess you were, otherwise you wouldn’t have know about the restarts.

But when you say -

it re-cycles to restart before it even tries to start
do you mean you do in fact see the red LED flashing?

Old 04-19-16, 01:41 AM
I
Oil tank ran out and burner wont start

We have an old warmflow boiler and like many people before us the oil tank ran out before the scheduled refill. I understand that there is probably air in the system now that needs bleeding as it wont restart. It makes a noise when you press the reset button as if it is going to fire up but doesnt so its not completely dead.

However I cannot locate the bleed valve and not wanting to blow us up can anyone help before we call out a plumber as none seem available for days. Have been told lots of conflicting messages - use an allen key/ a screwdriver/ turn oil off /on - its a metal screw its a rubber screw etc etc....

Please help!

ian

Old 04-19-16, 03:16 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can you identify the kind of Burner (like Beckett ?) and/or the Name on the Oil Pump (like SunTec) ?

That would help locate the bleeder.