The bathroom is cold....new radiator needed/wanted

Old 01-11-16, 06:10 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The bathroom is cold....new radiator needed/wanted

Hi everyone,
As the weather has started to get colder here in NJ, my wife has been gently complaining that her bathroom is cold and does not heat as well as the other bathroom. The "cold" bathroom was part of an addition that was put on the house about 31 years ago. It is on the list to be remodeled, but we are not doing it this year. However I want to solve the heating issue this year so she is comfortable. When we remodel the bathroom, my goal would be to install a cast iron Sun Rad radiator, but that is at least a year or so out.
The bathroom is currently heated with one copper baseboard, that measures 2.5ft total. The baseboard is mounted below the window on an outside wall, the other wall of the bathroom is also an outside wall, but the vanity is against that wall. The baseboard is mounted behind the toilet. I don't think that I can use a longer baseboard as it would interfere with the opening of the closet door.

The dimensions of the bathroom are as follows:
Height : 8ft
Length (window to door): 5ft
Width (including shower stall) : 7'8ft
Window size: 32x19

My calculations say that room is 39sqft, does that sound correct?

I would like to install a Runtal UF-2 baseboard radiator (UF-2-30 - Runtal UF-2-30 - 2.5 ft UF-2 Baseboard Radiator), with the same length of 2.5ft. The Runtal is cast iron correct? From what I have read the cast iron radiator will put out much more heat than a similar size copper baseboard, is that a true statement? Based upon my dimensions, would a 2.5ft Runtal do the job? Based upon the pictures (I will post them later) would the Runtal work/fit behind the toilet? Does anyone have an idea better than the Runtal? I know that they are a bit more expensive, but the quality seems to be there.
Also can the Runtal be incorporated into my existing heating zone? The remainder of the house would retain the copper baseboards. I think this radiator is at the end of the loop. Would there any uneven heating issues? The house is a smaller ranch, with one zone for the living area, one zone for the basement, and a third zone for the indirect hot water heater. The boiler is a Weil-McLain series 68 oil boiler. Also the pipes to all the radiators are 3/4, but the Runtal needs 1/2, how would I pipe that in? It looks like it might be difficult to get to the underside of the bathroom floor since the full basement is not fully under that bathroom. To make things easier, could a little bit of PEX be used?

Thank you for your help!

Zack

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-16, 06:51 PM
Z
Here are the pictures.......

Attached Images     
Old 01-11-16, 06:54 PM
Z
Here are the pictures from the underside where the pipes run under the bathroom floor and up to the radiator.

Attached Images    
Old 01-11-16, 07:38 PM
H
First thing I would do is pull the end cap and front panel off and vacuum out all the dust and hair.
Then remove any pipe insulation under the bathroom floor -- shower, sink, etc.

Old 01-11-16, 07:56 PM
Z
What will removing the insulation do? I will vacuum the radiator tomorrow, however the radiator is a mess so I want to replace regardless.

Old 01-11-16, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
From what I have read the cast iron radiator will put out much more heat than a similar size copper baseboard, is that a true statement?
No... Same heat output...

Also can the Runtal be incorporated into my existing heating zone?
No.. you should not mixed cast iron with copper finned ..

Either put a piece of high output baseboard if it will fit, or a kick heater under the sink...

Basement?

I say Kicker is best choice

Compact Hot Water Baseboard Fits Under Cabinets & Between Wall Studs

Old 01-11-16, 10:24 PM
H
What will removing the insulation do?
Warm the floor above, unless the floor is too warm now.

Old 01-12-16, 02:28 AM
Z
Well it's the basement below, so not much heat from down there. I keep the basement zone at 62.
As far as cast iron goes, why can't it be mixed with copper baseboard? And the better heat from cast iron I assume is related to the fact that they hold the heat longer?
The high output baseboard looks promising! With respect to the high output baseboard, I can cut it to any size I want correct? It does not seem to come in 2.5ft sections. How do the high output baseboards crank out more heat?

Thanks,
Zack

Old 01-12-16, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I can cut it to any size I want correct? It does not seem to come in 2.5ft sections. How do the high output baseboards crank out more heat?
Yes you can cut.. It either is a multi pack or the fins are larger and more of them. So fitting the new housing behind the toilet may be an issue...

why can't it be mixed with copper baseboard?
A small piece like that may not be an issue.. Its usually cast iron is slower to respond. Finned heats faster.. The bathroom may actually be colder in the shoulder seasons when the boiler is not running full tilt....

Also the is a low return temp issue too that can condensate at the boiler.. That can happen with mixed systems that heat differently.. But probably not with a 3 ft piece mixed in...

Old 01-12-16, 04:27 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You can also install a new bath ceiling exhaust fan that integrates either a heat lamp or has heat coils and a fan. Want to get fancy, they make infrared heaters that heat the objects in the room without throwing off heat - read about them a few years ago, never used them however.

Old 01-12-16, 05:02 AM
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Another option would be an electric kick space Heater,with a wall mounted thermostat
19-1/4 in. 1,500-Watt Kick Space Heater with Built-in Thermostat-112 - The Home Depot

Old 01-12-16, 05:48 AM
B
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I like the kick space heater or possibly some electric radiant heat in the floor. If you want to make mama happy, give her warm floors . Or you could carefully add a bit of hot water heat under those floors, kind of what HeatWorm was saying with removing the insulation, but extend the pipes, and enclose the cavities. I said carefully as the boiler temp is hotter than you would want the floors and you would want to be sure all pipes are protected from freezing.

Bud