Buzzing Relay for Heating system

Old 01-14-16, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buzzing Relay for Heating system

Hi,

I have two zone heating in my house and recently noticed that the relay connector to one of the zones started buzzing today. The t-stat is calling for heat, but the circulator pump is not functioning; the relay is making a audible buzzing noise instead. NOTE: the other zone in my hose is working fine.

I actually had an issue a couple months ago in that the circulator pump was not hooked up correctly, but that was rectified by fixing the circuit. Heat was working fine since then. Attached is a link to the previous fix, as well as all pictures
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...t-fire-up.html

I did some quick searching on the web and the relay may need to be replaced? Id rather fix this myself, but i'm not a skilled electrician. Is this something i would need to call a technician about? Its starting to get below freezing up here in New England so I would like to not delay too much.

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-16, 05:31 PM
UPDATE: oddly enough, i just now went out to the heating zone and the heat seemed to be working. Still i think its noteworthy that when i came home after work, the heat had kicked off and wasnt firing back up originally. I dont want to ignore this if its a sign of a pending issue.

Old 01-14-16, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 513 Votes on 483 Posts
The other thread is a long one. You should bring/post the picture in this thread that is the problem control unit.

You may have to change the entire control box versus just the relay.

Old 01-20-16, 12:12 AM
The armature and actuator are connected with a press-fit finger joint. The Armature is soft and fatigues.
A short term fix is to gently crimp the armature with a slip jaw pliers.
A longer term fix is to apply threadlocker to the loose armature and press the armature together as above.
I recommend allowing the locker to cure before use.

Remove power before doing any work.