No hot water or hot water pressure

Old 01-23-16, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No hot water or hot water pressure

Hello,

Just bought my first house.
It has a Peerless Boiler that was installed in 2012.

The house heats up but not getting any hot water out of any faucet.
The hot water pipe coming from the boiler for domestic use is hot until it reaches a honeywell mixing valve. Afterward, the pipe is barely warm. I tried adjusting the mixing valve to the hottest setting and the pipe past the valve did get warmer but still no hot water from the faucets.

Also to note, very little hot water pressure. It basically is a step up from dripping out.

I checked all the valves I could and they all appear to be open.

Trying to do as much research as I can on the boiler system. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-16, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 511 Votes on 481 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Try to take and post a few well lit pictures of your plumbing at the boiler there. My first thought is a clogged tankless heating coil in the boiler.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 01-23-16, 11:20 AM
Thanks, I make settlement on Wednesday and can get pictures then.
I'll research cleaning a coil as well. Thanks for that. This is my first experience with well owning a home as well as boilers.

From what I've read so far, I might want to invest in an indirect heater tank.

Old 01-23-16, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
What fuel are you using ?

A natural gas water is a big plus. Seconded by an electric hot water heater. Tankless... even with a storage tank are not usually very energy efficient.

Old 01-23-16, 11:32 AM
Its an oil fired boiler. I think its fairly efficient though, the tag on it from the heating company shows 86% efficiency.

But, perhaps considering purchasing an electric hot water heater is a good idea.

Old 01-23-16, 01:25 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The mixing/tempering (Honeywell) valve may be full of rust and other corruption. Although a crap shoot that might be worse than you now have, taking the valve apart (turn OFF the domestic water first) might allow you to clean the valve. The problem is that you might not get it back together again.

I'll state this, though; using a tankless coil (inside a boiler) is the second worst method of obtaining heated domestic water ever devised. The first is a large open kettle on a wood-fired kitchen range. Indirect, electric or fuel-fired (they DO make oil-fired) water heaters will ALWAYS be better than a "thankless" coil.

Oh, that tag that cites 86% efficiency is ONLY combustion efficiency and not overall efficiency. Depending on how careful the technician was when he/she did the combustion testing, that number could be severely inaccurate.

Old 01-27-16, 04:05 PM

I called the company that installed the boiler. They said the previous owner had someone out to look at it prior to me buying it and were told the problem is a plugged coil due to the well water.

They offered to either replace the coil for $800 or go with an electric water heater which they can do for $900. They recommended going with electric as this issue with the coil will continue to happen.

!edit for image

Old 01-27-16, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Good picture....... nice clean set-up.

I'd definitely switch over to an electric water heater. Shut that boiler off in the summer.... keep the house cooler.

The price they quoted sounds a tad on the high side. Is that a 50 gallon tank and does that include all the electrical work too ?

Old 01-27-16, 05:25 PM
50 gallon tank and they said the price is all inclusive with full installation. Apparently they were onsite with the previous owners and they are using the same price estimate.

I've cut copper pipe before but never soldered. I'm not comfortable doing this work myself especially in the time frame I need to do it in. I need to move my family in the next week.