Oil Heating help

Old 01-26-16, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Heating help

I have New Yorker AP-490 oil fired boiler. I also have an electric water heater connected to the same system. The original idea was to run the electric heater in the summer, then oil in the winter. could someone tell me what the most efficient hi/lo settings would be? I want to conserve oil. ideally I would use the electric water heater for water and the furnace for heating only but I am pretty sure I cant do that?

We have the house thermostat set to 55F to provide basic background heat then we use a wood stove to warm things above that. in theory the boiler should only kick in if the thermostat drops below 55F however the boiler kicks in quite regularly due to the hi/low settings.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-16, 07:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
As the price of oil drops like a rock, I would think that saving electric would be more desirable. It certainly costs more. It always baffled me why people want to save oil but when it comes to air conditioning, in the summer, saving electric doesn't appear to be a concern.

Was your electric water heater installed at a later date & not there when the house was built?

Old 01-26-16, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Hi and welcome... Tell us exactly how the hot water is set up.. Is it the tankless coil going to the electric heater? This will determine the settings

Old 01-26-16, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
If the water heater is separate from the boiler run the electric water and dont ever run the boilers tankless coil..

Set the hi to what heats the home... 180f is the normal temp but you may be able to run less depending on how much baseboard in the home and the heat loss..

Also if you go this route normally the lo setting would be set at the minimum.. 100F? The diff should always be 10...

But if you go the electric heater route you can make your boiler a cold start and save even more oil.. Its a quick mod to the aquastat...

Let us know...

Old 01-26-16, 08:16 PM
The boiler and the electric heater are connected. But each can be isolated. I understand that with the cheap oil prices there wont be much of a saving but I would just like to understand the system, and my options fully.

The house was built in 1999. The water heater was put in just before we moved in a couple years ago,

That is very true about people not worrying about the power consumption of A/C but we are in Maine and don't have A/C....a open window and ceiling fan work fine for us.

Old 01-26-16, 08:20 PM
Lawrosa, thanks for your input, I would love not to run the coil but can't figure out how to turn it off, and run the heating only?

How do I modify for a cold start?

Old 01-26-16, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your input

Old 01-27-16, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator
Can you take a few pics?

If not using the coil as stated 180f hi and 100 lo diff 10 would be the common setting..

You can make it cold start so the lo and diff get deactivated. Just remember sometimes a boiler that has been warm start all the time, may start to leak a little when made into a cold start boiler.. If that happens just reverse the process and make it warm start again with the settings mentioned above...

What aqustat do you have???

Old 01-27-16, 05:29 AM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Hi J,
If our winters stay like this we may need to think about summer ac .
My reading centers on the 55 degree setting, I've audited a few homes where people were having to set their temps that low and in every case there were significant opportunities to reduce heat loss. A 99 boiler is not that inefficient and a better side of the problem may be to tighten up the house.

We can help.
Bud

Old 01-27-16, 06:24 AM
Tightening up the house is defiantly on my to do list!

lawrosa thanks for the info, ill give that a try. I did take some pictures but I cant upload them for some reason any ideas? I could email them?