Thermostat wiring....boiler runs past set point

Old 02-02-16, 06:26 AM
Thermostat wiring....boiler runs past set point

Boiler running great, plenty of heat!

I have temp set at lowest position on thermostat and boiler keeps on running. Looking at replacing it, but want to get it running right if I can. Additionally with this sytem can I get a battery power or newer wifi unit running...seems like I need additional wires?

So here's a veiw of the connections at the boiler and then to the thermostat. Note the green wire is not connected on either end.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-16, 06:35 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Do you really need wifi? You have a nice simple system. Why complicate it? I like LuxPro. Everyone else likes Honeywell.

Old 02-02-16, 06:56 AM
Everyone else likes Honeywell.
Not this kid, I prefer Robertshaw. Some people really like their Nest. I specifically like the ability to control deadband/differential rather than the "cycles per hour" method that Honeywell offers.

As for WiFi, maybe a few can really benefit from it but in my opinion in most cases it is just a, "Golly gee, look what I can do with my silly smart phone!"

Oh, for what it's worth, I like Lux as a lower cost simple thermostat.

Old 02-02-16, 07:37 AM
Pretty sure you have to dead level that one.Heat anticipator (round wheel) set at .4 for that control.But what do I know,use to shine up dimes with mercury when a kid. Or just get a new simple one.

Old 02-02-16, 07:44 AM
Only thermostats containing a mercury bulb for the actual switching require leveling. And, the leveling is mostly to have the printed numbers agree with the calibration, the thermostat will still work if it is slightly off-level, the numbers however will not agree with the temperature actually controlled.

Old 02-02-16, 07:46 AM
No, it's set at .2. See what happened.What ever,the reading is on top of the control.

Old 02-02-16, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
This is your second thread on the same topic. You started one yesterday. I just deleted the first one and re-posted my reply here.

If you take the stat off and the boiler is still running.... it's not a stat problem.
Most boilers are set up to maintain a certain low temperature and will run to maintain that temperature regardless of the thermostat setting.

You can definitely install any battery operated stat there.
In order to use a WiFi type you'll need a C connection.

I need the complete model number of that Honeywell controller where the stat is connected.

Old 02-02-16, 02:47 PM
Temporarily Suspended
"Golly gee, look what I can do with my silly smart phone!"

Oh, for what it's worth, I like Lux as a lower cost simple thermostat.
You can say that again!____________