Burnham gas boiler: intermittent ignition

Old 02-11-16, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnham gas boiler: intermittent ignition

hi all, and thanks in advance for your input.

I own a 2-unit home in Providence, one of which is my permanent residence. In September 2013, I had two brand new Burnham Independence model PIN4SNI-ME2 gas fired boilers installed, one for each unit. Currently, both units are nice and comfortable, temperature wise, so the heat *is* working. However, when I visit the basement, I find that the boiler that provides heat to my unit is cycling for no apparent reason. This morning I recorded this ignite/shut off/ignite/shut off cycle for 60 seconds, during which the boiler cycled three times. Here's a link to that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYRVSaSt04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYRVSaSt04
And here's a link to the product page for this specific model boiler:
Burnham PIN4SNI-ME2 Independence - 105,000 BTU - Steam Boiler - NG - 82% AFUE - Chimney Vented - 0 to 2,000 Ft. Altitude
Because I have two of them in the basement, I'm able to compare one to the other, so I'm pretty sure that the behavior I'm observing is not normal. The situation is not super urgent because, as I said, the boiler is still functioning well enough to heat my apartment.
This past fall, I brought in a plumber to "service" the two boilers, and it turned out to be somewhat of a waste of money... the plumber didn't really do much, given that these two units are practically new.
Three weeks ago, upon first observing this strange behavior, I called another plumber, who also said that the boiler looks good, and that the behavior is probably being caused by a low water level. However, I have since added water (and in the video you can see that the water level is more than sufficient).
Which leaves me searching for answers here...
Thanks again.
Jonathan

Last edited by fish02906; 02-11-16 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-16, 04:40 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Your video link is invalid.

Old 02-11-16, 04:54 PM
Old 02-11-16, 05:53 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Have you done the routine maintenance for the flame sensor? If you don't know what this is, I will detail it for you.

Old 02-11-16, 06:06 PM
Furd, thanks very much for your time on this. I have not done any maintenance, because I paid a pro to do it just a few months ago. In any case, if you're able to walk me through it i'd be very grateful.

Old 02-11-16, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
I show that boiler having an electronic ignition module with a fault LED. Have you checked that ?