Boiler stops working until I turn power off and back on

Old 02-12-16, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler stops working until I turn power off and back on

I have a hydrotherm HC 165 furnace. This is the second time this has happened to me and I thought I would try and find out what the problem is before it gets worse. The furnace would run all day with no problem but then would cut off with the thermostat calling for heat. When I turn the furnace switch off and then back on it starts to run back normal. These past few days has been extremely cold the furnace has been working harder. What should I start to look at for this problem? I have a feeling this problem will get worst as time goes on.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-16, 12:52 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
What you are calling a furnace is actually a boiler. It burns gas to heat water and the water is circulated by a pump to "heat emitters" throughout the house. You may have standard cast iron radiators, baseboard convectors, cabinet convectors or some other method of releasing the heat to the rooms.

You are experiencing what is called a "soft" lockout. This is a safety condition where the burner stops until either the thermostat is lowered below room temperature or the power is momentarily interrupted. There are many different things that could cause the soft lockout. When was the last time you had the boiler professionally serviced?

Old 02-13-16, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Like Furd mentioned there are several things that can cause your problem.

Two problems that would be high on my list would be a problem with the flue damper... in particularly the end or open switch and a dirty pilot orifice or a dirty flame sensor.

Old 02-13-16, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
There is no flue damper of an HC 165
Secondly there is no flame sensor per se'

This is a powerpile design probably from late 1960's or early 1970's..

I would look at the aquastat first.
Second you need to make sure all wires are secure to the millivolt gas valve and t stat.
Check wiring in the circ/burner control.

Can you take a pic of the boiler and controls? I have the same boiler and would like to see if you have a separate aquastat or combined..

Old 02-13-16, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Are there different versions of the Hydrotherm HC-165 ?
This service manual and the others I looked at are all the same and has it included.
modules/lit_lib/upload/HCD2-501.pdf

Old 02-13-16, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Ha ha.. I have that service manual that hydrotherm sent me but its dont list the older versions..

Your right pete my bad.. In my career here on the east coast I never seen one of those models..

The rev # looks like 1977?

These were redish/maroon in color I believe where the older units were grey green like mine..

I just assumed.. And you know what happens when assumptions are made...

Looks like they all have the s8600 Other brand boilers I have seen with this type of electrically light pilots were very temperamental..

https://customer.honeywell.com/resou...0s/69-0463.pdf