Data Logging of Burner On "Events"

Old 02-13-16, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Data Logging of Burner On "Events"

OK, I now think it would be helpful to log "boiler on" events over, say 24-hour periods. The data I want is simple. Just the time (absolute "clock" time or time since data acquisition start) the burner goes on and the time the burner goes off. I don't care about any other variables. I'm just trying to get a sense of cycle on times and time between events so that I can get a feel for how adjustments to system are effecting cycle times.

Surely, there must be a cheap PC-based (either usb or serial connection) device which would capture the above data? I wouldn't need any software to analyze the data, a simple data file showing time and state of circuit (on or off) controlling the boiler gun would suffice (I would just load the data file into excel and run it through a simple Basic program).

Budget: <$60

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-16, 03:15 PM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Connect an elapsed-time-meter in parallel with the burner motor to measure the amount of time it runs. Connect an event counter the same way to count how many times the burner turns on. Such meters are available on-line for under $20.

If you use this method you will have to read the meters to get the data which you can then use to calculate how many cycles per time period between readings, and average run time per cycle.

I posted a thread a couple of years ago about using elapsed-time-meters on my gas-fired Burnham boiler that might give you some idea about how to use them, but I cannot find the link to that thread at the moment. Here is an excerpt about the elapsed-time-meter:

I needed to know how long the heat calls were in addition to seeing the burn time to address short cycling. When the ES2 control sees a heat call on its TT terminals, it energizes the “System” wire in the boiler junction box which would be used to run a circulator pump (which I do not have.) That wire continues to provide power even when the burner cycles off. In my case, the Taco relay box controls all the circulator pumps and the “System” wire was not used. By connecting an hour meter (such as
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3907561...lpid=82&chn=ps
to the “System” wire I can measure how long the thermostats (via the relay box) are calling for heat.

Last edited by 2john02458; 02-14-16 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think this product has been discontinued and I have no idea how much they cost (probably more than $60, lol). But it seems to me something like this would also do the trick unless they are just cost prohibitive.

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdf...r_onoff_ac.pdf

Old 02-15-16, 09:39 AM
Here's one, I'm sure there are many others:

Counter, Event and State Data Logger with USB Interface

Amazon sells the same thing (different brand name) a little cheaper.

Old 02-15-16, 10:26 AM
Carbide Tipped will that work with the burner line voltage? Seems to me something additional would be needed. But maybe Im reading the stuff incorrectly.

Old 02-15-16, 11:46 AM
Good point.

No, 24 volt max. If the burner valve is higher than that, a little relay would do the trick and the event logger will work with dry contact.

Old 02-16-16, 08:31 AM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
For your ~ $60 budget buy a universal type Honeywell R7284 burner control. It logs and displays burner cycles, etc. Use data from it along with actual firing time history from a digital elapsed time clock wired into the solenoid circuit.

For a good overall picture for a given number of days, log start and finish actual oil quantity and degree days to calculate actual nozzle gpm/hour firing rate, DD per gallon, btu/hour (need efficiency#), etc.

Old 02-16-16, 01:50 PM
hi guys

The only thing that jumps out at me, if I understand correctly, is that the R7284 coupled with the elapsed time recorder will give you an average. I thing you could compute the average burner run time per cycle over a period of time (plus total cycles). Is that correct?

If so, then it seems to me thats a little different from the more detailed record of the time-of-day start-end times for every burner cycle over a given period as requested in post #1.

But which information is more appropriate for what OILBTU wants to do I cannot say.

Old 02-29-16, 09:20 PM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
The major values of the R7482 is real time status display, diagnostics and control of a great many features. We have all looked at a burner not knowing its status, is it on standby with no call for heat or not working? It provides answers the for at least some issues. "No Flame" is a real challenge.

I also use the R7284 alarm contacts to sound a battery powered buzzer in the living quarter whenever it locks out. That is a lot better than waking up to a cold house. For the smart phone types it could probably be used to active an alert on one.