New subfloor under radiator

Old 02-13-16, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New subfloor under radiator

Hey Everyone,

I had to replace the finished floor and subfloor in a room I'm doing in my house. Ripped it out down to the joists, and now I'm installing new. The new subfloor and finished floor will be about 1 1/2", which is 1/4 thicker than the previous floor.

The problem is under the radiator. It's a big cast iron radiator, and over the years it had warped the floor significantly. Today I managed to slide the 3/4" plywood under it, and it's a pretty good fit. But I'm wondering if I can/should try to get the rest of the floor under it.

How much "play" do these things have? I don't want to jack it up and break something or cause a leak.

With some crafty shimming and a little sweat I can get the rest of it under there. Or, if you guys think thats a little risky, I can just work around it and leave it resting on the board I got in today.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-16, 07:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The most important thing is the pitch of the radiator. If it's a one pipe system, it needs to be pitched towards feed pipe. If it's a two pipe system, it has to be pitched toward the return pipe.

Old 02-14-16, 07:40 AM
It's a two-pipe, with the inlet and outlet on the same end of the radiator.

What I'm saying is, over the years the house settled, and the radiator and piping sagged down, well over an inch.

Can I lift/shim/jack it back up high enough to get my new subfloor in and return it to its original height?

Does that put to much stress on the threaded pipe? Does it need to be done slowly?

Old 02-14-16, 09:09 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Does that put to much stress on the threaded pipe? Does it need to be done slowly?
If there access to the pipe, from the cellar or floor below? Yes, it needs to be done slowly not jacked up like a car.

Old 02-14-16, 10:19 AM
Yeah, the radiator is on the first floor, and the basement is not finished, so I have access from below.

I'd need to get it up another 1" or so to get the finished floor under it, so I'm thinking I'll just tile around the feet. I can dress it up so it's not visible.

But I would like to get the last sheet of 1/2" ply for the subfloor under it.

So really just need a 1/2".....

There's a gas line in the pictures. I labeled it so it didn't cause confusion. It's not relevant to the discussion. The radiator pipes are behind it.

Name:  radiator 1.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  26.8 KB
Name:  radiator 2.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  24.7 KB
Name:  radiator 3.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  25.3 KB

Old 02-14-16, 03:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It looks like there is a little space between the header pipes & the joists. If that's the case, there maybe enough give, in them. You might want to have someone push up while you lift from the top.