Safe to run old GPH hydronic Boiler with leaking B&G Pump and high PSI ?

Old 02-15-16, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Safe to run old GPH hydronic Boiler with leaking B&G Pump and high PSI ?

Safe to run old GPH hydronic Boiler with leaking B&G Pump and high PSI ?

I have searched online and don't have a solid answer.

My SO I live with owns the house, I don't have a lot of say in anything repair wise. (I do pay half the mortgage but I have no investment in this house)

Everything was serviced a month ago by SILA in the DC area.
The guy who did the service tune up suggested replacing B&G with Taco 007, adding 2 shutoffs and the Thermacouple. 3k estimate (although this steep $ included a maint. plan)
I need some input on whether it's safe (enough) to run a 1969 GPH Hydronic heater (American Standard) that uses a Bell and Gossett 100 pump.

Last year, the pump started to making a squealing sounds. A bit like an accelerating train on a bad track.
SO/Home owner said they're not interested in paying so much out of pocket.
Things seemed okay for a couple of weeks.

Then I noticed a yellow-whitish milky substance collecting under the B&G pump.
Since I was alone for the night in the house, I turned off the heater and emailed my SO.

He tends to never ever worry about anything and I have to be the worrywart here.
(To wit, last year had disco effect in lights around the house, sudden power surges. He was blithely disinterested and thought I was an overeacting female.
Had power company out and turned out a wire outside was a bad neutral and things could've ended badly. Power company replaced everything, but SO still thought I was overreacting)

Anyway, he has refused to have anyone come look at the boiler situation.
The house has two zone heat, so we left the boiler off for a while and just ran the HVAC.

Finally with temps in the single digits, he turned that off because of course the heat pump couldn't handle it and the HVAC emergency heat always smells like sooty burning rubber.

So he turned the boiler back on and it's dripping more oil and water than ever.

It's been turned off for a few hours and I noticed the PSI is still reading as PSI 21.

This house is tiny. 1,050 SQ. Split level.
So I would imagine the PSI would be lower at rest and in use.

Anyway, is there any danger involved in continuing to run the heater with the leaking pump and higher PSI ?

Thanks for all input.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-16, 04:18 PM
Tough to give good answers without being there to see things. 21 psi is not excessive (if the gauge is to be believed) It sounds like your B&G circulator is the main problem. The noise sounds like the pump bearing is worn out, and the dripping oil/water probably means a bad seal. Replacing with Taco 007 is usually the best solution. In the meantime, you can try adding oil to the filler (with a flip up cap on top) for the pump bearing. This should help to quiet things down. Put a pan under the pump to catch oil and water drips. Schedule pump replacement ASAP. Good luck, Steve

Old 02-15-16, 04:22 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Potential problems, absolutely. Probable problems, probably not.

21 psi is not too high a pressure. You do need to observe the pressure AND temperature together though. As long as the pressure does not exceed 27 psi and the temperature does not exceed about 180 (give or take) you should be okay.

The B&G pump has probably destroyed the bearing as well as the seal. As such it is leaking oil AND water and that is where the yellowish muck is coming from.

Lots more but if you could post a few pictures I might be able to offer some more help.

How do you feel about getting your hands dirty?

Old 02-15-16, 04:51 PM
Thanks all for the advice.

I am a weakling, the boyfriend/ "SO" is an engineer and pretty burly and handy so if it's simple enough perhaps he can handle the repairs himself.

It's currently turned off, but since it's around 30 degrees, it keeps cycling on for a few minutes at a time.
I am used to oil burners and the bf tells me that his boiler must have a feature that turns it on when temp drops to certain point.
(living room is 62 degrees right now, no idea what temp is where the boiler is but it doesn't feel cold.)
It just stays on for a few minutes, but the rattling sound is a bit unnerving.

Pics of the old beast:

Name:  gph1.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  21.5 KB

Name:  gph3.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  gph2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  gph4.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  37.0 KB

Last edited by ACEce; 02-15-16 at 07:21 PM. Reason: mire info
Old 02-15-16, 06:09 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Your attachments are coming up as invalid. You may need a moderator to approve the pictures.

Old 02-16-16, 09:31 PM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
The B&G 100 is an older generation pump. Newer ECM (electronic communtated motor) use 80% less electricity. There are many reasons to upgrade to ECM with delta T like the Taco Bumblebee or auto pressure sending like the Grundfos Alpha.

Typically the Taco 007 (not ECM) is not the best replacement for a B&G 100) The 007 sells for around $80. Even HomeDepot carries them. The 007 does not use a thermocouple. The Taco Bumble Bee which sell for around $180 does use a thermocouple. Maybe you guy is confused. Check the prices on the web.

While adding shut off / isolation valves ($15 each) is a good idea but not a Must. Circulator replacement is a one hour job. I would check with some local plumbers for better price.