Riello Burner Didn't Fire Over Weekend

Old 02-16-16, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Riello Burner Didn't Fire Over Weekend

So we went away for the weekend (coldest weekend of the year so far with temps below 0 and windchills in the -30 to -40...) and came home yesterday to a 34 degree house... Burner is a Riello 40 F5.

Being in a panic, I vaguely remember what I did, but not completely...

I went downstairs to the boiler and hit the reset button. It fired and ran for ten seconds or so and shut down and wouldn't restart again. Knowing the clogged line issue I had last winter, I unscrewed the bleeder and had a little bit of foamy fuel come out and nothing else. Undid the supply fitting at the burner and had plenty of fuel there, so no clogged line, but the burner still would not fire.

Undid the nozzle supply line on the pump and hit reset button, no oil out the high side.

Removed the pump cover to check the screen, it had a little bit of black flakes on it, but nothing that I would call out of the ordinary. Wiped the inside of the cover down, and the now exposed pump down and put the cover back on. Hooked nozzle supply back up, opened bleeder and hit reset button. Got a solid stream of fuel, burner fired, and ran flawlessly all day and all last night.

Any ideas as to what might have happened? Maybe a bit of debris was clogging the pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-16, 08:19 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Jelled fuel. Getting warmer now out.

Old 02-16-16, 08:29 AM
Tank is in basement so that's not the issue.

Old 02-16-16, 08:39 AM
Lines off the top? Did you lower the heat and did not come on as often? Maybe lost prime.

Old 02-16-16, 08:44 AM
Single line off bottom of tank feeding burner. Did not lower the heat. Did not have any issues with the unit all winter until now.

Old 02-16-16, 08:52 AM
How do you get your hot water? Do you got a boiler?

Old 02-16-16, 09:02 AM
Yes, this burner is on a Viessman boiler. Indirect DHW setup, 4 heating zones plus 1 for the indirect tank.

Old 02-16-16, 09:42 AM
Did you check oil filter? I always check gravity flow thru pump on your kind of set up.When you have the cover off pump open oil valve.I try to prime thru gravity the oil filter too this way when I have the time. Seems like you work on your own system.It's a little worry but would not sweat it. Just go thru the parts.

Old 02-16-16, 10:19 AM
Ya, everything seems to be working fine again, so I am not sure what exactly happened. And like I said, it had been working fine for the past year.

What is the best way to bleed these Riellos?

Old 02-16-16, 12:36 PM
I try to look at the oil system as a whole. If power purging it with burner on always trash the old parts first. Example: Dry filter,purge thru pump with 5mm pliable gas tubing.Shut off,shut oil valve,change strainer.On Riellos I like the gaskets rather then o ring. Most times I just gravity bleed the pump by leaving the two topcover screws a little loose with the o.v. open. Close fully when bubbles stop.Pie pan or other under pump.
If it's been a year or more since last serviced ,maybe time.

Old 02-17-16, 02:03 PM
Is there a need for Tiger Loop in your system?

Old 02-18-16, 04:53 AM
I wouldn't think so. The line is in the floor, and the level of oil is well above the pump level. That shouldn't be a problem.