Does low gas pressure > low FLA?

Old 02-16-16, 12:07 PM
Does low gas pressure > low FLA?

My Burnham ES2 experienced several soft lockouts last weekend when we had below zero record temps. When I observed the FLA reading it stayed below 5 micro amps. Usually it is in the 10 to 12 range.

The flame seemed low and I assumed that was because of extreme demand on the gas distribution system. Later in the day when the demand was not as high the pressure seemed higher and FLA reading went up into the 7 to 9 range. Now that outside temps have increased the FLA is back to normal.

Can low gas pressure cause a low amp reading on the flame sensor?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-16, 07:17 PM
Absolutely yes. The gas valves today are what we call unregulated pilots. The gas pressure to the gas valve regulates the pilot size. A pilot with a 6" w.c. gas pressure will be higher than a pilot with an incoming gas pressure 4.5" w.c. which is the minimum needed at the inlet of the gas valve.

Old 02-17-16, 07:54 AM
Thanks for confirming that.

Old 02-17-16, 12:10 PM
It would be a shame to have a boiler fail to fire in -10F* temps because of low incoming gas pressure. A potential disaster, really.

It might be a good idea to contact your gas company about what happened. They need to know stuff like that.

Old 02-18-16, 06:15 AM
A good idea. I will do that.

While it was happening I thought also that it could have been an indication that the sensor might be failing, so I ordered a replacement. It only cost about $45 and is good insurance to have on hand. It is being delivered today.

Fortunately, after a freeze incident in my greenhouse several years ago, I installed a low temperature alarm. That was how I knew that the boiler was not operating due to soft lockout and I was able to get the temperature back up before any damage occurred.