Post-burst pipe repair, can't bleed system

Old 02-16-16, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post-burst pipe repair, can't bleed system

Hi,

This morning, I found and repaired a burst pipe in one of my zones. After fixing it, I've been unable to bleed the system of the air that went in. Some zones are still providing heat but not all.

When I attempt to bleed the system, the pump will run to circulate the water, but no water or air will exit the hose. In fact, it almost seems to try to suck up air into the system. Do you have any ideas?

Name:  IMG_20160216_170909.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  33.9 KB
This is my setup. It's Buderus G215. I know, the pipe layout is extremely messy but that's how the system was when I bought the house.

Name:  IMG_20160216_170828.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  34.7 KB
The pressure is low. I've heard it should be at least 12-15psi and it's 5psi here.

This is where I've attached the hose to try to bleed it. I've shut off the water to the return, but that also means to the Taco circulator, and opened up the valve for the hose.
Name:  IMG_20160216_170938.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  30.0 KB

Is the problem that my pressure is too low? I'm not sure how to add more, and it doesn't seem to be doing it automatically.

I have 4 zones, 3 that are Suntemp radiators with no bleeder valves (as far as I can tell) and 1 zone for an addition that has Dianorm radiators that each have their own bleeder valve and a dial to set that room's temperature.

Thanks in advance!
-Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-16, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi Dan –

I’m not one of the pros for sure. But are you sure the water supply to the boiler is open? I’m pretty sure you will need the supply open to do the purge. Also I believe you need to lift the handle on the boiler water feed pressure regulator valve to force water through the system at street pressure. The valves look like this-

0386425 - Watts 0386425 - 1156F 1/2" Threaded Iron Pressure Regulator

But I’m sure one of the experts will be along soon and can confirm that.

Well I just saw a video where the guy didn't use street pressure at all. So we need the pros here.

Old 02-16-16, 05:25 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The ball valve above the pump is shut. Open it.

Old 02-16-16, 06:15 PM
Yeah, there's a bunch of problems. One - the water supply was stuck off or something. Which turned out to be a good thing because now I've found 2 more leaks. Fixing those, and will return to the problem.

Old 02-17-16, 07:06 AM
I've fixed all those bursts. I bled the system as much as I could at the time before heading to bed. When I woke up in the morning, one zone wasn't receiving heat. Unlike the other 3 zones which have wall mounted thermostats, this other zone is for an addition that has Dianorm radiators that each have their own Oventrop therostat controls. This one has a Wilostar circulator pump. I checked them last night before I went to bed and the pex pipes were warm at the manifold and the radiators were getting a little bit of heat.

Now it seems that the pump won't kick on. It's not tripped, and the power is on (it's on the same system as the boiler), but it doesn't seem like there's much water inside because I removed the bleeder screw and nothing really came out once I shut off the input and output ball valves. The manual says that a fuse or capacitor could be blown, or the motor might not be turning. I tried turning it with a screwdriver and it moved though with difficulty.

Any ideas?

Old 02-17-16, 08:08 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
deleted.............................

Old 02-17-16, 08:13 AM
(yes, I've fixed that ball valve orientation - it's in line now)

response to deleted post, my post is now moot.

Still not having the circulator pump turn on.

Old 02-17-16, 04:50 PM
The pump is a wet rotor design, water lubricates the bearings, if you apply power before filling and applying static pressure the pump will fail. The impeller is plastic, never use any object to turn it. Drain system: Remove the four hex socket cap screws from stator housing and inspect impeller. ==>> Instruction Sheet '00' Cartridge Circulators [PDF]
You must have water pressure -- boiler gauge -- before applying power.

CounterPoint How Hydronic System Components Really Work [pdf]

TECHNICAL BROCHURE FHD-501A
[pages 6-11, pdf] Pressure-Reducing or “Feed” Valve
[page_ _ 11, pdf] Something you may not know... [Don’t think of a feed valve as a safety device.]
[page _ _27, pdf] The Circulator, And How It Moves Water
[page _ _29, pdf] Pump pressure and static pressure

Old 02-18-16, 10:48 AM
Thanks, that was some great information.