Boiler water on the floor

Old 02-17-16, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler water on the floor

Hello!
I've read through some threads to see if I could find a similar problem but honestly, it's a little technical for me to understand. This morning about 4am I heard a noise from my basement...when I went down I found water on the floor with black something in it - it looked like it had squirted in a few directions, but I wasn't sure where it came from. My furnace (I have water baseboard heating) and hot water heater are right next to each other.

My baseboards were warm (hot actually) so I wasn't sure if my furnace stopped working. It appeared the water was coming from a black pipe from my furnace. I made a call to my local plumber and I'm on the list to come today but it may be awhile. My guess was confirmed when my furnace just kicked in and I heard a similar sound...I went down and the container I put on the floor under the black pipe is full of water (it's not a ton of water).

I was hoping for some insights as to what I'm looking at before the plumber comes. THANK YOU in advance for any help you can give. (The smaller container was the one that filled up and I moved the other one there - and you can see the tracks of black where I found water earlier this morning) I can post another pic if that helps. CathyName:  furnace1.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  31.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-16, 10:52 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
That's your safety pressure release valve opening up. You most likely have an issue with the expansion tank, which is the blue/grey thing in the picture. There are instructions at the top of these forums that can help you check it.

Old 02-17-16, 11:28 AM
Thank you! The plumber was early and he said the same thing - he said he will most likely need to replace a few parts. As much as I'd like to "do it myself"- I'm leaving this one for the professionals.

Old 02-17-16, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
You may also have a problem with the water fill valve. It may be over filling the boiler.

Old 02-17-16, 07:21 PM
It appears I got a new gold thing with the red button (see pic at bottom of thread)...things were dry when I checked an hour after, but now about 7 hours later my small container under the black pipe is half full with water again...I apologize if this is a dumb question, but could it be that the water is settling, or do I need to call the plumber back again tomorrow? (It's cold here in MN and my furnace has kicked in several times since the fix)

Old 02-17-16, 07:31 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wow sounds like a hit and run. Only extrol tank, auto waterfeed,relief valve and a purge is left. Get someone differant.