Two heat pipes corroded....how do I drain and bleed my system?

Old 02-24-16, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two heat pipes corroded....how do I drain and bleed my system?

Hi everyone,
Yesterday evening I was in my basement and I noticed a puddle on the floor by one of my basement radiators. Upon further investigation, the copper pipe attached to that radiator is badly corroded and leaking. Without question the section of pipe must be replaced. I also have another pipe that is corroded, however that pipe is on a different zone.
My heating system consists of the following, an oil fired boiler feeding two heating zones (living space and basement), and the third zone is for the indirect fire hot water heater.
I have never really done much work on this system myself, so I am not sure how to go about draining the system down to solder the pipes, refilling the system, and finally bleeding the air from the system. There are multiple on/off valves on various pipes of each zone. I will post pictures to hopefully make my questions clear.

1. Do I drain the system from the bottom of the boiler?
2. Without a pump, the system will not totally drain because of gravity, correct? How do I solve that issue?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Zack

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-16, 07:45 AM
More pictures......................

Attached Images    
Old 02-24-16, 07:50 AM
And more pictures..................

Based upon the pictures, is it best to leave this job to a pro? My regular plumber is out of commission for a while as a result of shoulder surgery.

Attached Images      
Old 02-24-16, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What are your options? Is there any way to do a "quick fix" to stop the leak until the warmer weather comes around? If it has to be done right now then I say let a pro handle it.

It looks from your pics that your boiler piping is mix of copper, cast iron, and galvanized steel. I wonder if that kind of mix of metals (along with water and oxygen) could be causing the corrosion..?

Old 02-24-16, 07:14 PM
In post #3, the picture of the corroded pipe is a mix a steel and copper. That will be all replaced by copper. What kind of temporary stop gap measure can I really use to deal with this? I am not afraid of soldering, but I am just not sure about draining down the boiler and bleeding. I looked at the pipes closer this afternoon, and it looks I have valves to totally isolate or close off the basement zone. If I closed both of those valves, can I just cut open the pipe and deal with the water the solder away?

Old 02-24-16, 07:51 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I looked at the pipes closer this afternoon, and it looks I have valves to totally isolate or close off the basement zone. If I closed both of those valves, can I just cut open the pipe and deal with the water the solder away?
As long as you can isolate the zone from the rest of the system, then the short answer is yes. You should keep in mind that you will be introducing some air into the system which may need to be purged out.