Heating system help.

Old 04-17-16, 04:26 AM
Heating system help.

I have a hot water heat system. It is a 2 zone system, one for the first floor one for the second. The issue I have is the 2nd floor is extremely hot and the piping/kick boards are hot even when the thermostat is not calling for heat and the circulator pump is not running.

Last edited by Ccfour; 04-17-16 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Miss spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-16, 04:49 AM
Temporarily Suspended
How is it expensive if the pump isn't running? Did you close the flap on the base board?

Old 04-17-16, 06:33 AM
The flap? All piping is solid no valve or anything with exception to the bolier area.

Old 04-17-16, 06:44 AM
Temporarily Suspended
There should be a flap on the base board housing.

Old 04-17-16, 07:11 AM
Could you please be more specific on what you mean by the flap.

The only flap I know on a baseboard is used to cover the piping and tie the faceplate into the rest of the housing. I do not see if this is a flap you're talking about has anything to do with hot water being sent to the second floor when not called for by the thermostat or the circulator pump.

Old 04-17-16, 07:38 AM
Upvotes Received: 8
What type of zone valves are you using?the flap that Pulpo is referring to is near the top of the baseboard cover and it is used to regulate the amount of convection air that circulates through the baseboard,it extends the whole length of the baseboard, I doubt that's your problem.check the zone valve and see if it may be stuck open.

Old 04-17-16, 07:42 AM
Upvotes Received: 2
Or the check valve not seating.

Old 04-17-16, 08:14 AM
Update to the system.
On the supply side there is a check valve on the return side is where they circulator pump are located.
There are three pumps total the way I view it is it one pump is running and pushing water into the boiler it will in turn push hot water into the lines whether it is demanded or not do the check valves being on the wrong side of the boiler.

Old 04-17-16, 08:23 AM
Upvotes Received: 2
Many systems like that. If it's not cold start,gravity alone could send up heat. Most checks have a manual open. Could try opening and closing the offending check while it's calling for heat. A hit on the body with a rubber mallet sometimes helps while doing this.

Old 04-17-16, 09:11 AM
Does this system have an anti-convection valve like a Taco Flo-Chek that could be stuck open ?

Old 04-17-16, 12:21 PM
Upvotes Received: 8
Do you have all pumps and no zone valves? Maybe a few pics would help.

Old 04-17-16, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
It sounds like two pumps for the zones. That would mean you'd have two anti-flow valves.
Not sure how the third pump fits into the picture.

I agree....some pictures would be real helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-17-16, 05:55 PM
Upvotes Received: 5
I fear that we are shooting in the dark here. We need many photos, preferably wide-angle, so we can see how the system goes together.

Without photos, I fear you may be on your own.

Old 05-16-16, 04:11 PM
Heating help also please

I have a similar issue and I also have two units, one upstairs and the other downstairs. When the units are off I'm still hearing and feeling heat coming out of the vents. I had a repair guy come out and he said he did regular maintenance and changed the heating strips. That should have fixed the issue, now a week later my system is off and it's 98 degrees in my house and a gathering heat is not on nor is the ac. He said it's stored heat trying to escape but it sounds like something is running. Should I have another repair guy come out or is the previous guy correct? Please help! Thanks Cres

Old 05-16-16, 04:56 PM
I'm not familiar with the term "heating strips" ?