Vaillant Oil Fired Boiler

Old 05-09-16, 05:46 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vaillant Oil Fired Boiler

Does anyone have a source for parts on an older Vaillant Oil Fired Boiler?

We have a F75-W-55 PP Boiler and can find absolutely no parts sources in the USA for it. Even emailed 11 suppliers in the UK I found with just one unhelpful response.

Only piece needed, and not even sure what it does/or is called, is a donut shaped piece of (asbestos??) perhaps 6" diameter or so on back wall of boiler directly across from the burner that I assume keeps flames from directly hitting the back wall. Old one basically disintegrated. Otherwise boiler is in very good condition and would function fine.

Any idea, or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Old 05-09-16, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,525 Votes on 1,408 Posts
I haven't found any parts sources for them in the States.

We'll see if any of the regulars has any idea.

Old 05-09-16, 06:50 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Can you post any pictures or drawings of this piece? I think you could probably make something with a piece of Kaowool or maybe a castable refractory cement.

Old 05-09-16, 07:14 PM
K
PJ and Furd,

Thanks guys for the replies. There was essentially nothing left of the piece, so no way to post photos of it. The only way I know how to describe it is if you swing the burner out of the way, to look inside burner area, directly across from the burner hole is the back flat plate of the boiler. Dead center on the burner hole, on back plate is a raised rim circle about 6" diameter and raised about 3/4" from otherwise flat plate. Inside this circle was the old piece that had crumbled and was in pieces inside boiler burner area.
My guess is that this nameless piece prevented the flame from directly hitting back of the boiler, and perhaps dispersing flames more evenly around burn chamber and heat exchanger tubes.

PJ, what exactly is castable refractory cement?

Old 05-09-16, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
It's a dry powder type cement that can take high heat. Furd is suggesting that the cement be formed into the needed baffle.

Old 05-09-16, 08:32 PM
K
Sorry Furd, I meant to ask you about the cement. Thanks PJ

Furd or PJ, that cement sounds like a potential solution to my problem. Where would one source the refractory cement?

Old 05-10-16, 03:59 AM
F
Google is your friend. https://www.google.com/search?q=cast...utf-8&oe=utf-8

You would need some pins or the like welded on the steel plate to hold the castable. Kaowool, a lightweight fibrous refractory, might be easier to use. (Try the Google boogle for kaowool.) Any company that does boiler repairs (commercial sized boilers) will probably have both the castable and the kaowool and may sell you a small amount.

Old 05-10-16, 05:10 AM
K
Furd,

Thank you that is great information and your link led me to this stuff >>
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Seems like it too might work, although still thinking about how to shape and hold it in position.

The remnants of the old "donut" and curious if anyone knows what that piece might be called?, was a stiff fibrous type material. I could tell it was somewhat donut shaped with the back most part closed and somehow attached to, and inside the rear raised ring. Not sure exactly how far it came out into the burner area, or was simply to keep flame away from the rear of burner.

Old 05-10-16, 10:28 AM
F
Kaowool is very light in weight, think of cotton batting of about the same size only lighter. It can be glued to itself and somewhat to metal with sodium silicate (https://www.google.com/search?q=sodi...utf-8&oe=utf-8) which will also give it a hard crust on the surface. If the remaining part has any kind of steel or similar that you can form the kaowool around and into it will be fine.

Old 05-10-16, 11:04 AM
K
Thanks again Furd !! More helpful information.

Old 05-10-16, 05:55 PM
K
Furd and PJ,

Success !! I searched this site.....Great Site....and found a thread from 2014 by
justsumoldguy He had same boiler and reading through his thread clearly was very knowledgeable about it. I PM'ed him and he knew exactly what I was looking for and further provided a link to it !!!!

Wanted to thank you both and justsomeoldguy for the invaluable help.

Link to what I was looking for >> Patriot Supply - 1117

Old 05-10-16, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Good find. Site show current stock 1. Grab it quick.... there may not be more out there.

Old 05-10-16, 08:13 PM
K
Agreed, locking it in now.

Thanks again !!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: