Gas Powered HWT verus Tankless Gas powered Tank

Old 06-09-16, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Powered HWT verus Tankless Gas powered Tank

My home is approx 1100 square feet; one level with infloor radiant heat system and a 65 Gallon Natural Gas powered HWT. I am in the process of replacing this tank that is 20 years young and would like to know it another option would be to get a Tankless Gas powered heater. I am aware it cost's quite a bit more for the install etc but would this work for a whole home heating system with infloor radiant heat or is the current tank type the best for this type of system. The second question is how to determine what size of Tankless I would need. Any info or advice is most welcome.

Paul

Last edited by Paul O'Toole; 06-09-16 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-16, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
not enough info.
Are you running potable water thru the infloor to heat your home ?
if you got 20 years out of your HWT, look at the cost per year to use it.
Get a quote for a tankless, installed, and average that over best case 10 years, but I bet you would only get 5 years out of it if you use it for heating.

These appliances are NOT designed to heat. The heating cycle for infloor is LONG. that means the tankless will have a constant call thru it for a much longer period of time than for a normal hot water heating application. Now add to this the fact that the size of the unit is geared towards heating your potable water, this requires more btu than your heating system will. So now you have an appliance that is cycling on it's limit for an extended period of time.
Next, is water quality. Here in Toronto the water is causing tanks to get plugged up and rotten at an alarming rate. Since your going to recirculate that water back in to the system, it encourages the calcifaction of the heat exchanger even faster.

If it where me, and depending on the heat loss, I would use a bradford white combi core. It has a built in heat exchanger to allow you to seperate the heating and potable system.