Leaking radiator valve / packing nut question

Old 06-11-16, 08:12 AM
Leaking radiator valve / packing nut question

Hi all,

So one of our radiator valves is leaking, I *think* it's the sort that can be temporarily solved by PTFE taping the packing nut.

I've opened the valve (spindle all the way anti-clockwise) and when opening the packing nut, a tonne of water comes out. So much so that i'm too nervous to undo the nut all the way. Worried about getting an unwanted shower.

When I undo the packing nut (anticlockwise) the entire spindle also spins. Is this normal?

I don't know that actual name of the valve in question, so have attached a picture. Hopefully that helps.

Should I keep going and undoing the thing I assume is the packing nut?

I hope this doesn't sound like a daft question, I'm no DIY Expert.

Name:  valve.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  35.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-16, 10:01 AM
Unless you drain the system you will be taking a shower. Have you tried to tighten the packing nut?

Old 06-11-16, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I've tightened it as far as possible, there is still a small leak.

This is where I get a little confused, as in the videos I see online, they remove the packing nut and wrap it with PTFE. Is there something I'm missing?

Example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udlENiipBCU

Old 06-11-16, 02:15 PM
This is for a hot-water boiler, right? In the video, he must have depressurized the system, or else there would be major water leaking when the packing nut was removed.

Old 06-11-16, 02:31 PM
I don't see a "packing nut" per se on that valve. What I DO see is a bonnet that (probably) has a preformed packing ring inside. If I am correct that valve cannot be repacked while there is pressure in the system. Removing the bonnet allows the valve stem to be removed so you MUST drop pressure in the system to renew the packing. It will probably be necessary to bleed any air from the system after the repairs.

Old 06-11-16, 05:30 PM
I think Furd is correct. At first, I had thought that shutting the leaking valve would isolate the packing from system pressure. But the pressure will still come from the line on the other end of the hot-water radiator. Unless there are other valves not visible, the system will have to be depressurized - but maybe not drained if you can work fast and have plenty of towels available. Or, you can just drain the system below the elevation of the leaking valve.

The linked video shows Teflon tape being twisted and used as stem packing. I haven't tried that, but my preference would be to use real valve packing material.

Old 06-12-16, 03:30 AM
Ok cool. So looks like I need to depressurise the system to get to the nut.
That's annoying.