Tankless coil issue

Old 06-19-16, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tankless coil issue

I had a weeping area at the bottom of my tankless coil, i heard this can cause bigger issues down the road, so i decided to change the gasket. All went pretty well, only broke one bolt which was very rusty, so i ground off rest of head and was able to vise grip it out. Anyway, i decided to flush the coil, and noticed a little bubbling on part of the coil. Probably why my pressure was high,and maybe the leak in the gasket in the first place. I've read that tankless coils aren't the best. My neighbor has a used water heater that was sitting outside for a year. Would it be worth trying to use that, and what would i need to hook it to my system? i have three heat zones now. I assume i would tie into the outflow and inflow sides of the boiler with a circ pump and some method to run pump when heat is needed. I think my existing controller is pretty full. Looking for ideas. Or should i bite bullet and get a new tankless coil?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-16, 07:28 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I probably wouldn't replace the tankless coil, since they are a bad idea to begin with. And, I'd be leery of installing your neighbor's used tank - why was it removed and set outside in the first place?

One option is to install a new, external hot-water tank (like your neighbor's, only new). Another, if you are on natural gas, is to install a standalone gas-fired water heater. If you do abandon the existing coil in place, you would plug both connections. Is the coil is leaking into the boiler? Otherwise, there may be a concern about pressure buildup in the plugged coil if left in place.

A nice thing about a standalone gas-fired water heater is that you can completely shutdown your boiler in summer months or during maintenance without interrupting your hot water.

Old 06-20-16, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the insight. I have an outdoor wood boiler open system I run in the winter tied into my system with a heat exchanger. If I do end up moving to a remote water heater, and I want to tie in with my outdoor boiler, how would I do that? Should I keep it as is, and just run a line from my inside boiler to the water heater and have the thermostat on the water heater control the circ pump? Will the thermostat turn on a circ pump, or do I need some kind of relay?

Old 06-20-16, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Unless you are going to do a well insulated indirect water heater and make the boiler cold start if it is not already, I would keep it off the boiler. A new domestic water coil would be sheer craziness. Just install a stand alone water heater.