Weil-McLain Gold CGa + Taco Zone Valves - where to place C wire?

Old 06-23-16, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Weil-McLain Gold CGa + Taco Zone Valves - where to place C wire?

Hi, this looks like a great site with tons of helpful people - so I'm hoping to get an answer to my question.

I have a Weil-McLain Gold CGa with dual zones controlled by Taco Zone Valves.

I, like many people, want to move into the "Smart Thermostat" world. Unfortunately, I do not have a C wire installed. All I have is Red + White.

The good news is I have an unused green wires that were run to both thermostats, making them an excellent option to become a C wire.

What I'm having difficulty with is where exactly the run the green wires at the boiler side. The electrical schematic at the boiler doesn't line up with how the wires are actually run.

Some poorly taken photos:

Photo 1 - Taco Valve 1

Name:  Taco 1.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  22.3 KB

Here you see the two thermostat wires. The spare green wires are the coiled up ones in the picture. The WHITE wire for both thermostats go to a wire nut and then a RED wire from the same nut goes into what I believe is a transformer.

Name:  Boiler.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  19.8 KB

It's hard to see but that 18g red wire is connected to the C inside the boiler. Those Green and White wires you see are going up to the Taco Zone Valves. In addition the Red wire from the Thermostats are going to Zone Valves. The only wire that is going to inside the boiler is the WHITE thermostat wire (which was changed to a Red Wire outside the boiler).

Should I connect the Common wire to the C inside the boiler? Or somewhere on one of the Taco Valves (since I'll have two smart thermostats)?

I've seen both answers during my research - but my guess is it's largely dependent on how your boiler is set up.

Any assistance is HUGELY appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by jcarlough; 06-23-16 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-16, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not but I did some more investigating last night.

Using a multimeter, I can get a constant 24v when using one lead on #2 of a valve and grounding the other lead - regardless of when calling for heat. This would make me think that this would be a good location for a constant - however, I can get the same when doing the same thing on the #1 location on the valve.