No hot water from furnace

Old 06-30-16, 05:51 AM
No hot water from furnace

I have an oil furnace (expansion tank) with 2 zones that has oil, power, and water going to the furnace, but the low water cut off is on and I can't figure out why the zones appear to have gone dry(I opened the valves to bleed but just a trickle comes out). The furnace blue (water I assumed) pressure gauge says 0. The Honeywell zone valve pumps run when the thermostat calls for heat (+ 10 degrees) but no water seems able to be getting out of the furnace/it will not fire. I bled the zones last winter with no issues. Reset the LWCO, burner and furnace switch. Not being an HVAC tech I'm guessing the re-circulator pump/cartridge might not be working-it was installed 5-6 years ago. Last furnace maintenance was 3 years ago (we moved into the house last August), water is conditioned with salt and filter.

Previous experience- had to bleed the zones to get hot water to upstairs zone, and a zone had to be started occasionally to get hot water to faucets/shower which points to either a thermostat not working or a pump not working?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-16, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
We're going to need pictures of your setup. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

If the low water cutoff switch is indicating no/low water then the boiler wont fire.
The heating zones may have a problem but the boiler should fire to make domestic water.

You need to determine what's keeping the boiler from firing.

Old 06-30-16, 11:14 AM
I'm guessing you really have a boiler....
It seems you have at least two problems.

First, your makeup water valve and pressure regulator aren't doing their job(or the feedwater valve is closed). There is usually a removable screen on the regulator that often gets plugged up so I'd check that.

Second, either the boiler is dry, which usually means a leak (all lines visible or do some run in/under a slab or other place where a leak might not be evident?) or it has water but none comes out of the bleeds because you have no pressure due to the first problem. I'd address the first issue and see if the second goes away.

Old 06-30-16, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Combined threads. We'll keep all correspondence on this topic in this thread.

Old 06-30-16, 05:00 PM
You reported that the pressure gauge reads zero. Using the manual lever on the pressure reducing valve, get the pressure up to, say, 15 psi.