New boiler circulator pump question

Old 08-02-16, 06:53 PM
New boiler circulator pump question

Hello all,
I have been away for a bit since I finally got my boiler working properly last fall-winter! I had high pressures, and added a very large- etx 90 expansion tank which took care of the problem (after running through a ton of possible scenarios and replacing many different parts). I guess I have a ton of water in my system and when it heated and expanded called for a large relief space....

Regardless, Mass Save program has all kinds of great incentives for new boilers and energy efficient heating components so I am gonna bite the bullet and go for it. I am doing a hydro-air system with heated coil. I will have 2 or 3 zones of forced hot water baseboard and CI radiator, and 1 zone for the main portion of the house with the 'forced warm air'. The issue is, my plumber who is a good friend of mine and I trust very much wants to put the circulator pumps on the return.... After all I have read on here (and elsewhere) about having them on the supply in the 21st century, I have concerns about efficiency and air removal etc..

The 3 boilers I have to pick from WM ultra 3 (nervous about the alum heat exchanger), HTP elite FT, and TT prestige solo. He wants to pipe it, primary secondary. I trust him, however the circ placement concerns me.

Can anyone shed any light on the issue, or give me a boiler that MUST be piped with the circ on the supply per manufactures specs lol.

Thank you all soon much!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-16, 08:53 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
I can't help you in deciding on a boiler beyond my personal dislike for an aluminum heat exchanger. I do like the primary/secondary method of piping multiple zones. As for placing the pumps on the returns, ABSOLUTELY NOT! Pumps on the supply side is not just 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century but dates to the middle of the last century. There are many reasons to pump from the supply and no legitimate reasons to pump the returns.

Old 08-02-16, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 214
There are many reasons to pump from the supply and no legitimate reasons to pump the returns.
I'm an electrical/electronic person so I don't do any new boiler plumbing but I'd think the pumps would run cooler if they were on the return side.

Old 08-03-16, 06:52 AM
Upvotes Received: 2
Would like to see the pro's and con's of pump location.

With today's integrated pump/motor/electronics packages, running with return water 20 to 30 degrees cooler seems like a plus.

MTBF usually goes up with temperature rise. That is one legitimate reason for putting pump on return side.

Last edited by doughess; 08-03-16 at 09:45 AM.