Burnham oil fired boiler dripping water

Old 09-23-16, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnham oil fired boiler dripping water

I noticed a small drip under my furnace recently. I took off the right side of the furnace and there looks like a 1" crack in the side. There is a pin size spot within the crack where steam is coming out and causing the water drip. IS this something I can patch for a quick fix? If so, recommendations on product? The HVAC service people came out and looked at it and immediately said I need a new furnace. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-16, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Hi.

I changed your title and moved your thread to the boiler forums. A furnace uses hot air while a boiler uses hot water.

There is really no way of patching a boiler jacket crack.

I do have a question..... was the boiler off for a long period and just recently started up ?
If yes... the boiler seals may leak at first and then reseal as the heat increases.

Old 09-23-16, 12:04 PM
boiler

The boiler runs all year long as it supplies the house with hot water.

Old 09-23-16, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
No products I know will hold up. Possibly have the crack welded ... Whatever that cost it may be best to spend the money on a new boiler...

Old 09-23-16, 03:54 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with Mike - best to bite the bullet and replace it.

But when I was in the navy or working in a power plant, we could have probably welded the crack by grinding it out and then welding several passes. That was back when men were men (but the sheep were nervous). It would be pretty unlikely to find anybody with the necessary skill, except buried in a cemetery.

Technically, your boiler has an ASME stamp, which would go out the door.

Old 09-30-16, 06:07 PM
I say replace it. That crack could get bigger and could cause a lot of damage in your basement. The boiler is under pressure, and now that it is cracked, its structural strength is compromised. If the crack gets worse and you have the main fill valve open before your pressure reduction valve (which is most likely the case), water would just continue to pour into your basement while you are sleeping or at work.