Please help. Trouble bleeding system

Old 10-02-16, 06:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help. Trouble bleeding system

So I was bleeding my heating system Which is the old hot water baseboard heaters. I started to run out of water and nothing but hot steam began to roll out. I thought this system filled itself automatically. So naturally I shut everything down. I;m not sure how to proceed. Oh and we do have very low water pressure not sure if that had anything to do with it. Again please help, I'm afraid professional help is financially out of the question.

Old 10-02-16, 07:19 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Not all systems have automatic water make up and even those that do may have it turned off or the "pressure reducing valve" (PRV) may be defective.

Let us start by having you post several pictures of the boiler and the near by piping. Pictures MUST be well lit and in focus to be of any value. More pictures are better than just a few. Best to upload pictures to a photo hosting site like imgur or photobucket and then post the public URL here.

Old 10-02-16, 07:47 PM
S
Steven_Furr's Library | Photobucket

Please don't mind the mess its my mother in laws old house and they took care of nothing.

Old 10-02-16, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Furd will chime in more. Ill just post the ovious..

Most likely AAv will need to be replaced as well as the exp tank im sure...

[IMG][/IMG]

May as well change the relief valve for saftey reasons.

[IMG][/IMG]

Im sure there is a water feed somewhere. you will need to take more pics.. No offense but that boiler is a mess...

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-02-16, 08:29 PM
S
Steven_Furr's Library | Photobucket

Uploaded a few more pics, and no offense taken, cleanup is on my list. I'm sickened and embarrassed by what was left to me.

Old 10-02-16, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
need to find a device like this..

Old 10-02-16, 10:17 PM
S
There isn't one. Unless its under the house and yes in this house thats possible.

Old 10-03-16, 04:43 AM
S
And if I end up having to fill it manually where do I connect the hose? I have my suspicions but want to be sure.

Old 10-03-16, 05:16 AM
D
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
The regulator that should automatically keep water pressure at 12 PSI whether boiler is one on or off, hot or cold. DO NOT attempt to fill system using unregulated water pressure from garden hose.

First, look for shut off valve between regulator (one with Warning label) and water meter. it may be closed. If opened pressure should be 12 psi.

Second, you can manually feed water by lifting lever on regulator while watching pressure gauge. To verify pressure reading you can connect pressure gauge to a drain valve on the system.

If water is getting to regulator check filter in bottom of it. Remove hex plug at bottom you can see in picture. Then pull out round filter screen and clean. Install plug but do not tighten. Turn on water and see if it leaks from loosened plug. It it leaks regulator is bad.

Replace auto air vent valve on rusted assembly above expansion tank. They go every few years.

Last edited by doughess; 10-03-16 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 05:54 PM
S
ok I found regulator. It is underneath the house. Problem now is I gently lifted lever because valve was stuck shut. Now it is stuck open. What do I do?

Old 10-06-16, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Youll have to replace it.. But in the mean time shut off the valve that should be before the fill valve. If the handle is stuck open most likely you are overfilling the boiler and the relief valve will trip.

My advice is the have the fill valve moved to near the boiler..

You have a lot of issues going on with that boiler. Will be hard to talk you through them all unless you get things replaced. Especially moving the fill valve near the boiler as you need it close for bleeding purposes...

Old 10-06-16, 06:39 PM
S
understood. thank you for your help. will keep you posted

Old 10-07-16, 07:44 AM
D
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Your life will be a lot easier if you take this opportunity to install a shut off valve between the expansion tank and system. Without a valve you have to drain gallons of water every time system opened.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: