General questions about removing air from the system

Old 10-20-16, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
General questions about removing air from the system

I bled out the air from my system last night. At one point my pipes were banging around like crazy. It made me highly nervous as it did not sound or feel right. I have bled air out before and have not seen this behavior. What may have caused this?

Also.. my expansion tank kept gurgling. I could clearly hear air in it rising to the top. Its mounted with the air pressure valve facing up/"on the top". After this my pressure relief valve starting leaking. Wondering about the gurgling noise. I don't think this is normal? Is it a symptom of air being trapped? Should I be concerned? Ignore? I will check the pressure on the valve. Thanks thanks thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-16, 08:28 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What is the boiler pressure? The relief valve will lift at 30 psi, so it appears that your expansion tank has lost its air charge. You will need to cool down and depressurize your system and then, and only then, pump up the bladder side to 12-15 psi. You can't check the air charge without first depressurizing the system.

The best time to have done this was when you had the system depressurized to replace the pump - but, whatever.