New water heater install - currently hard piped - invest in PEX crimper?

Old 10-25-16, 05:10 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New water heater install - currently hard piped - invest in PEX crimper?

As per another thread here, I'm replacing my 9 year old AO Smith gas heater today. I'm torn between taking the time and frustration to hard pipe the new one in, or just investing in a PEX tool and going that route.

Suggestions?

Looking at my setup, looks like it is easier just to hard pipe it, as the expansion tank if right there... screen capture

Hopefully the new unit has a similar spacing of in and outlets.

Old 10-25-16, 05:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 876 Votes on 806 Posts
PEX certainly is easy and almost idiot proof. You didn't say what kind of piping you currently have. Do you already have the tools to hard pipe? If not then I'd strongly consider buying or renting the PEX tools.

Old 10-25-16, 05:28 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just edited my post Dane, I included a pic. Seems obvious to just redo the hard pipe, because the expansion tank is so close to the unit. I've got no other place to put it!

Old 10-25-16, 07:11 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Most plumbing codes do not allow plastic piping within 18 inches of the tank inlet or outlet. That pretty much shoots down the idea of using PEX at the tank.

Your LOCAL code, the only one that matters, may mandate hard piping. Some codes do and others mandate flexible (metallic) piping for earthquake reasons. If you are ion earthquake country the code almost always mandates the heater tank to be securely strapped to the building using specified strapping installed in a specified manner. All the above also applies to the gas piping.

Permits are generally required when installing a gas-fired water heater.

One more thing, If it were me I would do some major re-piping, moving the shut-off valve and the expansion tank to allow 12 to 18 inch risers from the water heater connections with hard piping and using union fittings at the tank itself. Makes it much easier to change next time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: