Radiant hot water boiler system - one zone is not hot

Old 10-31-16, 01:47 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Radiant hot water boiler system - one zone is not hot

Hi,

I have a radiant hot water boiler with 4 zones.

One zone is not hot, so I thought the zone valve was dead and I had it replaced.

After zone valve is replaced and I ensure the valve is on (no resistance in the lever when I push around) and I turn on the thermostat, I noticed that the pipe out from the zone valve is still luke warm and never gets really hot like the pipe out from three other zones.

I called a professional, he said it might be the faulty board on the boiler. Do you think it is the faulty board or possible that the pipe might be clogged?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Old 10-31-16, 02:06 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Was it working last spring? I don't think a "clogged" pipe would be real likely. If you aren't going to work on the system as a DIYer, call a pro and let him diagnose the problem and fix it. If you try to diagnose the problem yourself and, for example, tell someone to replace the zone valve, then you are on the hook if you guessed wrong.

Last edited by gilmorrie; 10-31-16 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-31-16, 02:18 PM
E
Old 10-31-16, 02:22 PM
E
If I can fix it myself then I will do it.

I did replace the zone valve myself as I thought that was the initial issue.

Old 10-31-16, 02:36 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
OK, sorry. You said that you "had" the zone valve replaced, so I assumed you hired it done.

Old 10-31-16, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You have four zones and three are hot... one is not.
What zone has the problem.... second floor ?

I ensure the valve is on (no resistance in the lever when I push around) and I turn on the thermostat,
When you set the stat above room temp so that it's calling for heat...... then the manual valve release should be easy to move.

If you slide the valve to the manual open position..... it doesn't make a difference what the stat or the the control box is doing.... it's manually locked on and water should flow.

It sounds like your one zone may be airbound. Try turning the other zones off and run just the problem one. Since this directs all the water thru that one it may bleed itself.

If not you may need to find the return for that zone to be able to bleed it.

Pictures of your plumbing, well lit and from further back, can help us to help you better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: