Oil to Gas Boiler Conversion Questions

Old 11-18-16, 07:55 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil to Gas Boiler Conversion Questions

Helllo,

I am about to replace my old oil-fired boiler with a gas boiler. My wife's cousin will be performing the work. He is certified and has been working in the industry for many years. After doing some calculations at my house he has chosen a Crown Aruba 4 boiler, model AWR105ENSG2PSU which is currently in my garage.

My current set up does not require a separate water heater as the oil burner heats my water as well. I asked if I could have the same with the gas boiler but he said no. After looking into the Aruba 4 and unless I'm mistaken, I can do it without a water heater. So my questions are;

a) Can I bypass a separate water heater or am I mistaken?

b) Is one way better than the other? My thought is having a water heater is just one more thing that can break down.

c) Any opinions on the Aruba 4 boilers? I've been reading mixed reviews but they've been a mix of gas and oil boilers. Reviews specific to the Aruba 4 are not in great supply.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Old 11-18-16, 08:37 PM
R
Received 123 Votes on 117 Posts
You could always pipe the boiler inline with a conventional water heater, so you could be able to shut the boiler down in warm weather and/or still have hot water if the boiler were to fail.
I don't know if a domestic coil is available on that specific model.
First thing is to size the boiler to make sure your not buying on me that's too big. Oversized equipment is a huge waste of money and energy.

Old 11-19-16, 04:11 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks roughneck77. Now that you mentioned it, I remember he did say using the water heater would be better (even if I didn't have to) for that very reason. My oil boiler was over-sized. Based on what I've read I did some calculations and what I came up with is in line with the boiler he chose using his calculations so I'm confident we have the right size. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: