Wild loop boiler plumbing

Old 12-01-16, 10:09 AM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Wild loop boiler plumbing

Hi All,the subject came up in another post here,what is the purpose of a "Wild Loop" or Rat Race, and should a circulator for that loop run continuously?and you are right it is referring to the other post.

Last edited by Geochurchi; 12-01-16 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 12-01-16, 11:22 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I assume this is the reference post. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/boilers-home-heating-steam-hot-water-systems/573602-boiler-circulator-pump-wiring.html

I read the initial post and a couple of the responses before deciding that I would NOT respond as it would lead to another of my long and drawn out essays. I will have to go back and read the entire thread before I make any definite observations but I can tell you at this time that in an older system (1954) there are very few reasons to keep a circulator running 24/7 or even during the entire time a boiler is firing. Now SOME systems of that era DID have continuous circulator operation but it was not common. Today, however, with boilers that have a minimal amount of contained water it IS necessary to have a continuous flow (circulator operation) to keep the boiler from over heating.

I need to go out for several hours but I will review the original thread and try to post a shorter than average (for me) response when I return.

Old 12-01-16, 01:00 PM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Won't the aquast prevent the newer boilers from overheating?

Old 12-01-16, 05:44 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Geochurchi / Gurd.

In case you missed a comment that I had made, the Aquastat stopped the boiler from firing at 180F, but the temperature continued to rise to about 220F.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: