Oil tank location

Old 12-12-16, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil tank location

I currently have a finished basement. The oil tank is in the utility room with my oil boiler, hot water heater, etc. I am working on a project that will require the oil tank to be moved somewhere else. Also after further investigation, it is currently violating code, as it is only about 2' from the oil burner.

My options are

1. Move the tank outside, bury the line and run into the basement near the oil boiler.
2. Move oil tank to the opposite side of the basement. This option would put a completely finished section between the two. The options then would be to.
1. remove tile, cut a section out, bury the oil line and cement back over.
2. Fish the oil line in behind the finished wall of the basement.
3. Run oil line overhead

I'm really not sure what to do, so I need some insight. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-16, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
I'm not the pro here....... but I've had a couple of oil burners in past rentals.

In my opinion... it's a plus having the tank inside in a cold zone.
My one rental store had the tank on the opposite side of the basement from the boiler and the line ran overhead. I only had a slight problem priming when I ran out of oil one time.

Old 12-13-16, 04:47 AM
Underground tanks are a huge red flag, at least around here, due to problems with leaks and groundwater contamination. I'd stay in the basement if at all possible. Steve

Old 12-13-16, 05:48 AM
I don't have a lot of room in my basement, so moving it to the other side would take up a lot of valuable space, that's why I would prefer it outside.

The tank would not be buried, it would sit above ground. Pretty much everyone I know around here had their oil tanks outside.

Old 12-13-16, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
So put it outside....... problem solved.

Old 12-13-16, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
X -

My vote would be basement. (I have dual 275ís in mine). I would also check local code. I think sometimes you have to have a concrete pad outside for the tank. But I guess that wouldnít be a show-stopper.

I found this and assume this is legitimate:

From Granby Tank's INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE
GUIDELINES.

Facts Favoring Indoor Installation

Fuel oil storage tanks can be placed inside or outside of a building. Indoor
installation is by far preferable for heating oil applications, resulting in improved
service life expectancy. This is why:
Most oil spills are caused by outside installations failures,
¬ Fuel line breakage due to the weight of ice and snow or icicles snapping
lines when falling from the roof.
¬ Frost heaves causing lines to become stressed resulting in leaks or
breakage.
Water contamination (condensation) causing freezing and splitting of lines.
¬ Ground settling causing line failure (over stressed) or tank tipping.
¬ Accidental damage of lines from being stepped on, hit or something being
dropped.
¬ Tanks corroding at an accelerated rate; condensation formed due to
heating and cooling cycle from the weather, pools in the tank bottom
(heavier then oil) resulting in corrosion of the tank bottom.
¬ Vandalism (Line Cutting & breakage), Tank tipping, etc.
¬ Unstable foundations rotting / sinking resulting in tank tipping and line
failure.
Energy loss, operation and maintenance issues,
¬ Boiler efficiency is reduced due to temperature swings causing fuel
viscosity to change creating possible burner malfunctions.
¬ Fuel waxing in winter, plugging filters, especially on improperly installed
bottom outlet tanks.
¬ Fuel oxidizing and deterioration due to summer heating of the fuel (more
sludge and filter plugging).
¬ Bacteria growth in tank due to summer heat and condensation build up,
causes filter plugging and accelerated corrosion.
¬ Ice crystals formation in winter causes filter plugging / line freezing.
We always recommend that our fuel and heating customers install their tanks in the basement if possible.
We have plenty of customers with outdoor tanks. Many burn kerosene.

Old 12-13-16, 09:44 AM
You are correct, pouring a concrete pad is what I would do, and have done so in the past so no problem for me.

On the other side of the basement is the well pump, expansion tank and water softener, also my laundry room and storage is there. The tank could go in there, but I also have a 4x4x8 coal bin, so space is super tight and I'm not sure if I want to take up anymore space.

If it goes outside, it will go behind my garage, I will build a small roof over the top to protect it from elements. The fuel line will be buried from the tank to the wall where it goes into the basement.

The reason for this change Is I need to make room in the utility room, I want to add in a coal boiler, which would require me to move my current boiler to the wall where the tank is, and all the zone piping would go on this wall as well.

There is some unused space on the other side of the utility room, but the tank would be extremely cramped in there, and would be in the way of the sewer line leaving the house, my sump pump and partially would block my air handler.

Old 12-13-16, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I see what you are saying. A lot going on there. Most of my neighbors have their tank outside and seem to be OK with that. No problems as far as I know. Guess the tank outside just needs a little more care and attention thatís all and things can be fine.

Good luck with the project!

Old 12-14-16, 04:52 PM
Since my plan is to move it behind the garage and build a roof and walls around it, I was thinking I could just insulate it real good then put a small radiator or short baseboard with a bypass valve in there. With the coal boiler install I plan on running a new zone out to my garage, so it wouldn't be difficult to add some heat to it, then its in a conditioned space still.

Old 12-14-16, 06:44 PM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
X,
One suggestion if I might. Locate your filter inside at the burner. If anything freezes it's at the filter because of the moisture that can be in the canister and depending on the distance instead of a 2 pipe system you may want to use a Tigerloop. You can also come off the top of the tank instead of the bottom unless enclosing it fully to help with the snow.

They make a tank called a Roth tank which is a plastic tank within a stainless tank and carries a million dollar insurance for cleanup if the tank leaks. Comes in various sizes.

In MA they are required around wetlands if the town allows you to put an outside tank in. Some towns do not allow outside tanks anymore.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-14-16, 07:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
I concur with Spott's suggestions. If you do use a conventional metal tank & feed off the bottom, I like to put an empty filter can (no filter element) at the tank outlet to serve as a moisture trap & sediment bowl. If a Roth tank is installed outdoors it must have their enclosure kit installed as well.