No output from boiler. Need some help please.

Old 12-12-16, 08:49 PM
No output from boiler. Need some help please.

I could really use some help. My furnace is not really working. The registers are barely warm, and the pump is running continuously. The output pipe is also just about 80 degrees. The gauge on the boiler is reading about 190 degrees, and the flames don't come on because the boiler thermostat is set at 180-ish.

I thought the system was air bound, but that doesn't appear to be the case, as I have cracked all the air purge valves on all the registers. There was instantly a stream of water at each one. I am now at a loss as to what is wrong.

I will try to post some pics of my system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's mighty cold here in Montana.

Rick Carlson Name:  20161212_205137.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  37.5 KBName:  20161212_205143.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  24.8 KBName:  20161212_205221.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  43.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-16, 03:44 AM
Hi, you say the pump is running continuously. Do you mean the circulator? Those old B&G pumps had a separate motor and pump linked by a spring and coupling arrangement, which was known to come apart, leaving the motor running but not driving the pump. Take a closer look and make sure the pump is actually turning. Good luck, Steve

Old 12-13-16, 06:37 AM
It does sound like a circulation problem.

If the coupling is shot and you are handy with tools, there are a couple of videos on youtube that show how to repair/replace B&G couplings.

Old 12-13-16, 09:08 AM
The circulation pump motor is indeed running, and it does have a coupler to drive the actual pump. I will now check to see if the pump is actually being driven by the motor. This is a good start, thanks for the help, I'll let you know what I discover.

Old 12-13-16, 09:25 AM
Using a flashlight, I can plainly see the entire coupler being turned by the motor. I can't see if the actual shaft of the pump is turning because there is so little of it visible. Could the coupler be freely spinning on the pump shaft? The motor and pump appear to be running smoothly and normally. There are no new or extra noises or vibrations I have noted. Any other ideas?

Rick Carlson

Old 12-13-16, 12:52 PM
Any other ideas?
1. Pump impeller corroded/eroded

2. Flo-Check valve stuck closed

Old 12-13-16, 03:39 PM
The coupling is connected to the 2 shafts by set screws that can come loose and just let the coupling spin without turning the impeller on the pump. If you shut it down and remove the screws that connect the motor to the bearing assembly you can make sure everything is working. You do not have to drain any water for this procedure.

Hope his helps.

Old 12-13-16, 04:09 PM
It might be simpler to just replace the pump with a Taco 007 - which are readily available for less than $100. But, if you don't have installed valves to isolate the pump, you will have to cool down and drain the system down below the elevation of the pump.

Your gauges shows the temp at 190 deg, which is a bit high - but not the immediate problem. Your photos suggest a lack of periodic maintenance.