Repair leaking pressure valve over expansion tank.

Old 12-19-16, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Repair leaking pressure valve over expansion tank.

We sold the our house with the requirement to repair the leaking pressure valve over expansion tank, which our agent arranged a plumber to take care of, and to send us the bill. I want to ask if what was done is always done, and if not, what aspect is questionable, and what question I should ask the plumber. The bill came in and showed the following:

1) Install new Thermal Expansion Tank
2) Install new pressure relief Valve
3) Install new Taco Hy-Vent

These weren't necessary expensive, and I am not objecting yet, but want to ask are they typically expected to be done on a house over 15 years old, done as a best practice? I thought at most there was a replacement of the leaking valve. I have read that the expansion tank needs to be checked, and if leaking it would need to be replaced, and understand what the Hy-Vent is.. I didn't expect all three; and I didn't receive a phone call to advise me it would be more than the leaking valve, it was just "done"; so before I call the plumber, it would help me to be realistic, and understand why all or some would need to be done beyond the service requested. I appreciate your feedback -- I know once you investigate something, more usually needs to be done, so if that is the case, and logical here, it also would be good to know if he was required to call me to get authorization. Thanks so much!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-16, 10:54 AM
Expansion tank, if no maintenance for 15 years, probably contributed to leaking pressure relief valve.
Air vents don't last forever either. Unless you were charged an arm and a leg for labor, none of those items sounds unreasonable to me. Steve

Old 12-19-16, 11:18 AM
Thanks Steve -- I kind of expected this was a natural course, but wanted to your opinion -- really appreciate it!