B&G HV circulator pump leaking oil

Old 12-21-16, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
B&G HV circulator pump leaking oil

What is the maximum oil level in the reservoir on the pump side before it start to leak?

Regular oil maintenance was 1 tbsp of oil every 3 months of operation.

The pump is one year old and started to make noise, so i poured 4 tbsp of oil in the reservoir. The noise stopped, but started leaking oil at a rate of 1 drop every 15 seconds. It stopped leaking after 3 days.

At this time, i can see the oil in the bottom where the end of the wicks are.

My first tought was just below the bottom of the inside bearing bushing.

Is there something wrong with that pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-16, 08:05 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I think you have over-lubricated the pump bearings. The instructions call for 1 teaspoon (not tablespoon) every three months of continuous operation (24-7). For non-continuous operation (like a typical circulator), it's one teaspoon at the start of each heating season.

From B&G website:

1. PUMP BEARINGS Fill the bearing frame according to the oiling instructions decal. At the time of installation, add approximately 1 oz. of B&G #20 weight non-detergent oil. An SAE 20 (non-detergent) or 10W-30 oil may be substituted. Re-lubrication is required at the start of each heating season, or every three months for continuous service. Relubricate with 1 teaspoon of oil. More frequent lubrication may be required under adverse conditions such as high ambient temperatures. Less frequent lubrication is required if oil overflows from the reservoir.

Old 12-21-16, 08:39 AM
True, but this is a replacement pump.
The 50 years old pump oil level was much higher then this one and was not leaking.

I barely see the oil now.

I'm wondering about the possibility that they sold me a pourely rebuilt pump as a knew one.

I think HV pump are not made anymore, and for some time. So the pumps come from old stock and could have been swaped by error with rebuilt one.

That is why i'm asking about the oil level.

Old 12-21-16, 11:58 AM
I think HV pump are not made anymore, and for some time. So the pumps come from old stock and could have been swaped by error with rebuilt one.
They are still made - they are available at Supplyhouse.com and other places.

B&G has revised the oiling instructions for the pump bearing - now 1/2 teaspoon once a year instead of 1 teaspoon. Your tablespoon is six times the recommended amount. - I have never gone by the visible depth of oil. You'd need to phone B&G and ask them, but I would expect them to quote you their published oiling instructions. If your relatively new pump is still under warranty, call the person who installed it.

A more modern direct replacement of the HV is a Taco 0012. It is water lubricated and requires no oil.

Old 12-21-16, 01:24 PM
too much oil

Hi had an older b&g that I oiled too much and it caught fire.luckily, I was around to catch it in time.the schorch marks are still on the wall.I also overoiled the blower motor.I've got a newer system now and no more oiling.

Old 12-21-16, 04:08 PM
As long as the wick is wetted with oil and the oiling instructions are followed, I don't think any visible depth of oil is needed or desirable.

Old 12-22-16, 06:41 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Spent years dealing with issues on a B&G Series 100. When it finally died, instead of paying $300 for a new one, bought a Gurndfos Alpha for $180. Just bolt it in, and only half the weight and size of the B&G. A wet rotor pump, there is no journal to oil, or couplings to go.

Alpha is a new technology ECM pump which uses up to 85% less electricity and automatically adapts to changing zone/load settings.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Grundfos-...w-Terminal-Box

On systems with multiple zone valves end switches are not needed. Alpha can be set up always powered on, idling at 1 watt. As zone valves open it automatically adjusts to load.

Because my system is already wired in, still use the end switches to power it on.

For extra insurance on extremely cold days I turn off Alpha AutoAdapt and use a fixed, higher GPM.

Last edited by doughess; 12-22-16 at 07:59 AM.