1 zone not working

Old 12-23-16, 12:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1 zone not working

Hello and happy holidays. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a 3 zone w-McLain boiler system that will be 30yr old in 2017 equipped with a taco zone valve for each. I've only been at the house for two years now. 3 zones are LR and kitchen, bedrooms and basement. Just yesterday I noticed the bedroom zone thermostat no longer clicks on and off. So I inspected the thermostat wires and manually connected them and set the taco box for that zone to open. Still no water flowing.I also tried to drain that zone while drawing heat from the thermostat - nothing came out in to the bucket. I am thinking it is air blocked or the zone valve is stuck or bad. Am I on the right track here? Thank you!

Edit- I noticed the taco box for this zone is not seated properly on the valve. Probably a problem

Last edited by JD284; 12-23-16 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-16, 01:14 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
JD,

Are you saying you eliminated the stat and the ZV still did not open. Have you tried to manually open the ZV and turn up another stat to see if you get heat in the bad zone that way. With the ZV on manual that zone should heat whenever the other 2 zones call.

If it doesn't you may have a circulation problem, possibly air. Do you have a meter and know how to use it. Check for 24V at the stat to start with.

Old 12-23-16, 01:24 PM
Name:  IMG_2002.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  37.2 KBName:  IMG_1999.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  42.5 KBThanks Spott. I thought I could eliminate the stat based on the fact nothing is flowing even with that 1 zone open but it doesn't click. I am trying what you suggested now (open zv of trouble area and draw heat from another stat). I don't have a meter but can run out tomorrow to get one.

Edit- I will give it some time but opening bedroom and drawing heat from LR didn't circulate the bedroom heat. In the pictures the one all by itself is one of the working zones. It appears to be seated properly on the valve. In the pic with two zones, the bottom one is the one not working. For some reason the motor is not seated properly on the valve- maybe this is the issue?

Old 12-23-16, 05:18 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Your right about the valve head not being seated correctly,shut the power Off to the boiler, move the handle on the valve back to the normal position then give the head a 1/4 or 1/2 turn to reposition it,check on Google for repairing Taco zone valves,there is a lot of good info there.
Geo

Old 12-23-16, 05:22 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
JD,
It doesn't look like it's locked in place. To remove it twist it and lift off. Make sure stat is off and put the lever back to normal before removing. Reinstall and try it again. If it is not positioned right having it on manual will do no good because it will not push the plunger down on the body so the water can flow.

Old 12-23-16, 07:59 PM
You guys are awesome, thanks so much. I was able to readjust the box so that it is seated correctly, and voila the water is flowing again. I will probably purge this zone tomorrow as I can hear the water moving. I purged the kitchen one earlier and it is quieter now. Thanks again!!