Amtrol Boiler Mate WH-7L - going on 20 years

Old 01-10-17, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amtrol Boiler Mate WH-7L - going on 20 years

I have an Amtrol Boiler Mate WH-7L hot water maker that is 20 years old and still working. I don't know whether it was ever been partially drained to clean out any possible sediment in the water.

I have noticed recently, that on occasion, the water is not as hot as usual, but have not narrowed down the problem. For example, I noticed this a week ago, then again yesterday, yet today it was fine.

I also noticed there seems to be a clicking from the Taco zone valve (about every few seconds) yesterday when the water was not as hot as usual. Yet today, with no zones calling for heat, the water was its normal very hot, there was no clicking after I completed a shower, and the water tank temperature was already at 120 degrees.

I'm thinking it might be due to the fact that it is cold outside, and with 2 heating zones in operation, the water is just not heating up as fast.

So more observation to do to determine whether I have a real problem or not.

I realize this is not much to go on, but if anyone has any thoughts on how I should proceed with trouble shooting, please let me know.

And whether I should try draining the tank a bit, or leave well enough alone.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-17, 01:41 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Boiler Mate has wiring provided in the harness for priority setting which means your domestic water would take preference when other zones are calling. That priority is an option. It's possible your tank was not set for priority. If not it acts just as another zone and will share the heated boiler water which sounds like what it's doing.

On another note I have the same BM as you that I installed in the late 80's and is still going strong with nothing ever being done to it.

Hope this helps a little.