Water leak from cap of air separator valve

Old 01-13-17, 06:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water leak from cap of air separator valve

Hi all,

I have water leaking from the cap at the top of the air separator valve on my boiler. The valve is made by Webstone.

I've attached a picture of my boiler - the leaking valve is the brass one at the top (red arrow). So here are my questions:

I'd like to try cleaning the float part of the valve to see if that solves the issue. Can I just screw off the top of the valve and clean it (or replace the cap/float assembly with a new one), without removing the entire valve? Instructions from the manufacturer say to isolate the valve before cleaning it, or reduce pressure to zero - but I'll be honest I have no idea what either of those things mean, or how to do that. If I just let the system cool (turn it off), and then unscrew the cap, is that OK? Or are there valves I need to close first?

Considering calling my heating guy but don't want to potentially pay for an install of a new valve if I can possibly clean it and that might solve the problem.

Thanks for any advice, it is greatly appreciated!

Name:  boiler picture.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  28.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-13-17 at 05:08 PM. Reason: enhanced picture
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-17, 12:10 PM
To isolate the air separator you have to have a valve on either side. I see one in the pic (yellow handle on the vertical pipe off top of boiler), but can't see very far on the other side. If you have a valve on the other side, close both valves and remove top of air separator and clean. If you can't isolate, dropping the pressure to zero involves letting the boiler cool some, closing the valve to your auto-fill valve, and opening a drain valve somewhere to let enough water out for the pressure gauge to read zero. Once at zero, remove top of air separator and clean. When finished, turn on feed to auto-fill.
Do you have any problem other than the leak? If not, screw the cap on the leaking valve down tight and wait for warmer weather to start messing around. Good luck, Steve

Old 01-13-17, 03:09 PM
I did in fact tighten the cap and that stopped the leak. System seems to be working fine. I think I will do as you suggest and was until warmer weather to clean it. I saw the manufacturer has a replacement cap/float assembly for around $17, I may purchase one in the Spring and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Old 01-14-17, 08:46 PM
One additional question... I noticed when letting my boiler cool down, that the pressure gauge only reads 5. When hot it reads about 20. Shouldn't the cold psi be more like 12?

I am thinking perhaps the water that had been leaking from the air separator caused the pressure to go down? Would this indicate a problem with the pressure reducing valve? (It should automatically refill to 12psi if the pressures drops, no?). Is it harmful to run the boiler at too low a pressure? Should I lift the lever on the PRV and try adding more water to raise the pressure?

Old 01-15-17, 03:55 AM
Yes, pressure should be higher. Auto-fill valves go bad over time. Try lifting the lever to raise pressure. 5 psi to 20 psi is a pretty wide variation. Expansion tank air charge might be low. There's a sticky at the top that details how to deal with that. Good luck, Steve