Weil Mclain Ultra 155- Iso relay between zone valves & controller

Old 01-13-17, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weil Mclain Ultra 155- Iso relay between zone valves & controller

Hi,
I have bought Weil McLain Ultra 155 and planning to install boiler with help if local plumber. I have figured out most of the installation to make sure it is installed correctly but I have limited knowledge to relays.

Per installation Manual on page 79 (http://www.weil-mclain.com/sites/def...a-manual_1.pdf)
"Use isolating relays if using 3-wire zone valves
to avoid damage and nuisance problems due
to stray voltage"
I have DWH along with baseboard heat all using zone valves instead of circulation pumps for zoning. Above statement applies to my setup but I am not sure what exact Relay I should use and if anyone can provide me link of any product and possible wiring to wire zone valve with relay. I do have wiring schematic with my boiler which is very simple.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-17, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
The standard diagram is on the left. Normally you would just use the red and white (Rh & W) wires. The green is if you need a C wire for a smart thermostat.

The green is referenced to the transformer that runs the zone valves. If you connected those two TT wires to the boiler.... you could have interaction between the two transformers.

The relay isolates the two transformer. Any 24vac NO (normally open) relay will work.

Name:  Taco - Copy.jpg
Views: 3516
Size:  26.8 KB

Old 01-13-17, 05:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would reconsider. If you use zone valves & the circulator pump dies, the entire house will be cold. However, if you have a pump for each zone & one pump fails, you can always move to another part of the house.

Old 01-13-17, 07:07 PM
@donoli2016 - Definitely good Advice but I have 5 zones and it is already have zone valve installed. Changing into circulator seems to be overkilled. To compensate, I will keep backup circulator at home so just incase, if that happens I can switch over. I will have webstone isolation valve installed so I do not have to drain system to install circulator.

@pjmax,
Thank you for your diagram. That removes my doubts.

Greatly appreciated both of you. I asked same question to Weil Mclain and they refuse to answer. Weil Mclain has worst customer service anyone can imagine. Almost like you are talking to manufacture who does not own product and their installation manual suggest to install relay but does not cover wiring diagram for extra relay.

Old 01-13-17, 08:25 PM
@PjMax,
Do I need separate 24V Transformer to power relay ? or I can use one of my 4 existing 24V 40VAC transformer ?. These 4 transformer used to power, my 10 Erie Zone valves.

Old 01-14-17, 05:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Weil Mclain has worst customer service anyone can imagine.
I worked with a guy who used to say that the definition of Weil McClain was "See you in 8 years".

At the same time, Burnham wouldn't answer tech questions either. It might be the same with all of them.

Old 01-14-17, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Use the connections that were connected to the old boiler. You don't need to add another transformer. I'd love to know how you have four transformers connected using a three wire zone valve. Normally you would use one large transformer or use four wire valves.

Old 01-16-17, 02:32 PM
Pjmax,
I have 10 zones, and 2 transformers is connected to 5 zone and other 2 are connected to other 5 zones. Attached is my existing setup. Also, I have attached as is wiring diagram which I want to add relay to and provided to be as well based on my understanding. Please suggest me if it is wrong.Name:  BaseBoard Heat and Hot Water Piping Diagram-AS-IS.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  36.0 KBName:  ZoneValve-Thermostat-Relay-Wiring-AS-IS.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  24.1 KBName:  ZoneValve-Thermostat-Relay-Wiring-TO-BE.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  33.8 KB

Old 01-16-17, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Ok... this may be even easier.

Are you using the 4 wire zone valves ? Great news if you are.
The red wires are connected to a switch inside the zone valve. When the valve opens... the red wires are shorted.... starting your boiler.

In your case with 10 valves..... connect all the reds together. That means you'll have two splices..... each with the 10 wires from the valves and one wire to the TT terminal.

No relay is needed as the red wires are 100% isolated.

Old 01-16-17, 03:57 PM
Pete
Thank you for quick answer. Yes, I have all zones with 4 wires. Two to operate motor(black) and other two(red) to energize boiler.

Good news is I do not have to add relay but since I bought new high efficiency boiler and manual calls for it, for my mental satisfactions I want to add for extra safety. What i have in my second figure (TO-BE) is that correct ? I want to make sure.

Thanks