30 yr old Weil MClain Gas Boiler Replacement Suggestions

Old 01-13-17, 02:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
30 yr old Weil MClain Gas Boiler Replacement Suggestions

Hello all,

I am new to the forum as a poster but have enjoyed learning from your threads. I am in a new home to me, built in 1962. I have a Weil Mclain boiler that may have a small leak, but will confirm if it is just the temp/psi gauge leaking bc I did not tighten it enough. House is 1728 sq ft with 450 of that being unfinished or heated basement. I have a 114 ft of baseboard element through 3 levels of a split level home. Heating system is plumbed as a single zone, but has t stats and shut off valves for 3 zones. Boiler is rated 140k/110k which is way overkill. From reading on here, I would like to make it 3 zones and I believe I would only need a 75k boiler max. I was quoted $6100 to replace it. I know I can get a new boiler for 1/3 of that and have it installed for no more than $1000. My HW heater is 9 yrs old and I am looking for professional recommendations on boilers and system configurations. The fin and tube bbs are original and I doubt they put out 550BTU. House is drafty. I have been spray foaming and sealing everything I can. I need to insulate under two bow windows that have nothing under them and you can really feel it. The bb's do a fine job of warming the house. I look forward to the suggestions and info! thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-17, 03:24 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If the pressure gauge is leaking or something else outside the boiler, the leak should show up visibly. I hate to see you replace a 30-year-old boiler unless the heat exchanger itself is cracked.

Regarding your estimated $1000 installation costs: There may be some add-ons like expansion tank, replacing valves, pumps, electrical, etc. Also, removal of the old boiler. Is there asbestos that may need to be abated?

January isn't the ideal time to replace a boiler if it can be avoided.

Old 01-13-17, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
A draft house at 1700 sq ft would dictate a 60k btu boiler. I dont normally ask this but how many ft in total is the base board? Element only.

And if zoning, how many feet would each zone be? Element only?

Old 01-13-17, 04:12 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
I have a 114 ft of baseboard element through 3 levels of a split level home. Heating system is plumbed as a single zone, but has t stats and shut off valves for 3 zones

From original post.

Old 01-13-17, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You should split it into 2 zones if you can. about 60 ft baseboard each zone..

Old 01-14-17, 03:56 AM
I know I can get a new boiler for 1/3 of that and have it installed for no more than $1000.
Careful on that installation. You get what you pay for and if you are looking to make 3 zones there are controls to be installed and wired correctly. Just sayin' as a gas heating guy, the $6100 price you were quoted is probably correct.

Old 01-14-17, 07:38 PM
114 element only. I would have to remeasure to see what each zone would be.

Old 01-14-17, 08:12 PM
The expansion tank, PRV and the 3 shut offs that are in the basement have all been replaced as well as the autofill valve. The company quoted $6100 just to do a cut out and replace. He did not even look at the size rating of the boiler. He even mentioned that it is a hell of a lot cheaper if I know a plumber to install it vs them doing it. I know it is a business and the associated costs that go with it. I have the plumber to do it, just need to get a HVAC tech with manometer and the experience with boilers to make sure combustion, etc.. are good to go.
I am wondering what you guys like and do not like about Weil Mclain, Crown, Williamson, Peerless, etc...
HW heater is 9 yrs old. If I do replace the boiler should I use it for hot water as well or keep a separate HW heater?

Boiler is not leaking. It was leaking from the psi/temp gauge. Between the guy at the supply house and youtube I was afraid of over tightening the gauge, but after a month it started leaking from not being in far enough. Been 48 hrs and I no longer see any water anywhere and the percolating has stopped. When I have time I will take out the screws again and check to make sure the insulation has dried out and that it is not dripping at all from the gauge insert.

lawrosa- Do i keep the 450 sq ft of unfinished basement which is not heated, just has the boiler and supply and return runs in the ceiling in the calculation for a new boiler? I guess 2 zones would be ideal since I could just heat the upper level with our bedrooms at night and leave the other 2 levels without heat until the morning.

gilmorrie I already have to seriously consider replacing the AC in here and I do not want to replace the boiler, yet. Even if it was leaking, unless it was pumping out CO, I would have done my best to get it through the winter. I will post a different thread about my AC situation.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the info and want to make the best decision when the time comes. I am just so happy now that I know I do not have to shell out for a new boiler ASAP. I need to save the 7k for my AC system.