Pipe dripping next to zone valve - can it wait until Monday for repair man?

Old 01-14-17, 09:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pipe dripping next to zone valve - can it wait until Monday for repair man?

We had a motor replaced next to a zone valve late Thursday. Friday we noticed the fitting next to the valve leaking. (In the photo it is the valve in the middle.) It is a consistent leak. It probably is leaking about two gallons a day.

I know very little about the boiler. Can it wait until 10:00 am on Monday when a repair man is coming out?

The current pressure is at 18.

I've included pictures of the unit (from 1960s), the pressure, the valves and the tank.

I talked it over with the repair man late on Friday and he said it should be ok for a Monday visit.

Name:  IMG_3646.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  24.0 KBName:  IMG_4759.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  42.9 KBName:  IMG_8236.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  24.1 KBName:  IMG_0816.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  42.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-17, 09:27 AM
If you know where the feed water or make up water valve is (I don't think I see it in your pictures, but will connect your boiler to your cold water supply) make sure it's open. And keep an eye on the pressure. You should be fine. If you start hearing a lot of new gurgling or water running noises in the convectors, then shut it down until you can get leak fixed.

Old 01-14-17, 09:32 AM
Thank you.

When you say, "Keep an eye on the pressure" what is a bad pressure number?

Also, I'm including pictures of the only pipe I see going into the Compression Chamber. Is the tank that holds the water that connects to the cold.Name:  IMG_1824.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  25.7 KBName:  IMG_6668.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  24.9 KB

Last edited by Brian Hauch; 01-14-17 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-14-17, 11:25 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
B,
If those valves were turned off when working on the system and then turned back on sometimes the packing nut will loosen and must be tightened. Try taking a wrench and taking a turn, a little at a time until the leak stops. It may be more than that but it doesn't look it from the pics. This may solve your problem and save you a call.

The nut I'm talking about is the one right under the black handle, the top nut, it should turn easily if loose.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-14-17, 01:57 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It appears that the leak is from the stem packing of the manual valve. Shut the manual valve a half turn, tighten the packing nut, and then reopen the manual valve.

It looks like the leak has been going on for months or longer - so yes, it can go for another weekend.