Different Baseboard question

Old 01-14-17, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Different Baseboard question

I have converted an 8x8x8 bedroom into a walk in closet for out front bedroom. In the closet there is a small CI radiator. About 5 feet away from it is a large CI radiator for the front bedroom.

Since the rooms are now combined and will still have a large cast iron radiator almost centered between the rooms, can I replace the small radiator in the closet with a 6 foot hydronic baseboard?

I know I won't be lacking heat output since the front rooms radiator usually has the valve barely open since that particular one gets super hot. The front bedroom will run about 4 degrees warmer than the rest of the house if left fully open

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-17, 10:50 AM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
B,
Do you have steam or hot water heat. If you have hot water and are aware of the difference in heat value, the rad can be replaced or even eliminated if you wish.

Unless it is a good size rad it might not be worth the work to add baseboard. You will only get about 550 btu's a foot with baseboard and that depends on the boiler water temp. being delivered. If your rad is only a couple feet long and you just want to fill the space at 1100 btu's it might not be worth it. If you don't want heat in the closest just shut the valve off unless you have a loop system and in that case you cannot do that but if you had a loop system you probably wouldn't have shutoff valves on each rad.

If your rads are overheating you can always lower the boiler temp if you're only using your boiler for heat and not domestic hot water.

On another note radiator valves are designed to be fully opened or closed. Using them as you are could cause eventual leaking. Just for informational purposes.

Hope this helps a little.