baseboard heating element is too big

Old 01-24-17, 06:35 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

A little background. I am replacing the old baseboard covers with new slant fin fine line 30 covers. I get the back plate install and attached on the wall, I go to attach the front cover and it wont snap onto the support brackets because the heating element/coil is too big. It is 2 3/4 in wide. It looks like they are about a quarter in too wide for the bracket. So I went on supplyhouse.com to look for bigger brackets. I found the support brackets for the multi pak 80 series that would hold the existing size element. However not sure the bracket would fit on the back plate I installed. I have also been told to just cut off a quarter inch of the element to fit the brackets. So my question is does anyone have any experience with this issue, advice and so forth. I am basically trying to avoid having to replace all the upstairs heating elements due to the fact that I already purchased and spent hundreds on the covers. Thank you in advance!

Old 01-24-17, 12:06 PM
S
Received 85 Votes on 79 Posts
Z,
The brackets from the 80 will not fit the 30.

As far as cutting the element it will do no damage but you will lose some btu output.

Basically you have no other options in this case other than changing all the elements. Their casings are made specifically for their element.

You peeked my curiosity about the element cutting so I called Slant Fin and the above answers came from them.

If you go back to Supplyhouse and go to baseboard covers and click on the submittal drawings you can see all the dimensions for both.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-24-17, 12:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Thread moved to Electric Heating Forum.

Old 01-24-17, 01:17 PM
S
Received 85 Votes on 79 Posts
Why would this be moved to electric heat when it's hot water heating baseboard. Why would anyone look there.

Old 01-24-17, 01:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your title is
An element is a component of an electric heater. I moved it back.

Old 01-29-17, 03:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 10 Posts
If you look at the openings in the fins are they up and down? The solid side should be front and back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: