Boiler on then off

Old 01-27-17, 10:04 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler on then off

I have an ancient Burnham boiler from the 50s. New pump and motor, t stat, oil drum, filter and line. The problem I'm having is it will run fine for a while and then every now and then after it shuts off it will kick back on after a couple seconds. Every once in a while it will trip the reset button on the ignition module. Pressure runs between 10-18lbs,. Temp 140_160. I'm no pro but reasonably handy. Any guesses to what's going on? I did buy a new ignition module and CAD eye I just need the time to install them. Right now I'm working seven days a week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Jason.

Old 01-28-17, 06:26 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
It could be a bad solder connection on the module,,I had a simular problem years ago,depending on the module you maybe able to separate the board from the 4"sq cover and have a look.
Geo

Old 01-28-17, 09:38 AM
R
Just replaced the ignition module and noticed the pipe on the circulator pump was leaking onto the ignition module. Guessing this is why I was getting air in the system and possibly shorting things out. I tightened the connection down, replaced the module and placed a freezer bag over the new module until I'm sure the leak has stopped. I did not replace the CAD eye. I may call a guy if this doesn't work because I just don't have a lot of time. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The local guy I called last time to do a maintenance service did not impress.

Thanks. Jason.

Old 01-28-17, 10:18 AM
S
Do you have zone valves? Had a similar issue and it was the zone valve switch.

Old 01-28-17, 10:26 AM
R
No zones, just a continuous loop around the house.

Old 01-28-17, 02:49 PM
When you have some spare time you could try and take the module apart and have a look inside just to see if there was an H2O damage or bad solder connection.

Old 01-28-17, 05:09 PM
R
Sure.
Hoping that solves it.

Old 01-29-17, 06:52 PM
R
Still doing it. Thinking aquastat.

Old 01-30-17, 05:58 AM
What module are you using?

Old 01-30-17, 10:56 AM
R
The ignition module is.
Honeywell R8184G4009 International Oil Burner Control

Old 01-30-17, 11:33 AM
Z
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
RK-

My control is even older than yours. Mine is the 4184. I donít think the Aquastat can cause the 8184 to stop and pop the button requiring reset.

If you havenít had a service for a while that could be the problem. If your oil filter(s)/fuel pump filter are dirty, or the nozzle needs replacing that can cause the flame to stall and the button to pop.

If your electrodes are set improperly or are in bad shape, that can cause a problem also. You might not maintain flame and thus the button would pop.

Old 01-30-17, 11:35 AM
V
if my parents furnace was any indication, then if the burner is asked to restart too quickly after a shutdown it can sometimes pop too...

Old 01-30-17, 04:24 PM
S
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
RK,
Do you have a tankless coil for hot water.

V mentioned coming back on too quickly will cause shutdown. The reason for that is it must be completely dark for the burner cycle to start. If the cad cell detects any light in the chamber such as an after burn from a leaking nozzle or misaligned assembly causing oil from the nozzle to spray on the head and continue to burn after the burner shuts down that will trip the safety on the primary control.

If you have a tankless coil after your burner shuts down depending on the water temp it may be close enough for the low limit to call which may only take a matter of seconds to reach.

What is your aquastat limits set at. If you have a low limit make sure they are at least 20 deg. apart.

When you hit the reset and the burner comes on is there a puff back or an oil smell or does it light right up. If you get the puff or smell or a little smoke you have a delayed ignition which could be cause by your transformer, electrodes or nozzle.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-31-17, 07:28 PM
R
I'm not sure what a tankless coil is. But the dirty nozzle explanation makes a lot of sense. I will call around for service quotes. Sence I replaced the ignition module it has not popped but I do here it kick back on right after shutting off.

Thanks. Jason.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: