Hydronic system: leak issue

Old 02-05-17, 08:37 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hydronic system: leak issue

Yesterday my baseboard system sprung a leak. There are no visible leaks in or around the boiler or in any of the exposed piping. I think the leak is in a small crawl space under a hallway. Since we are at the height of the heating season shutting down the system for a repair isn't an option for me. I put in a bottle of "Hydronic Leak Seal" and so far have not had to add water.
My question is: Can it considered a permanent fix (if it holds) or should I do a proper repair in the off season?

Old 02-05-17, 08:40 AM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
Depends on whether you want to have to do another fix next heating season or the one after that. I would not trust a chemical leak fix to be anything but temporary, especially for a system I depend on. I would try to discover and mark where the leak is/was while there still may be some evidence of it, so you can do a permanent repair at a more convenient time.

Old 02-07-17, 10:11 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carbide - I agree with your advice. Yesterday I took up the flooring in the hallway to have a look --no signs of a leak. Unfortunately the Leak Seal has caused "kettleing". Is there a particular type of treatment or boiler cleaner that could eliminate the noise?

Old 02-07-17, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I'm not a boiler pro but I'd say you are stuck with what you have now. Flushing the boiler will remove the stop leak you just put in and could cause the leak to worsen.

I would make it priority one to find and repair the leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: