Boiler runs steam and hot water baseboards together?

Old 02-14-17, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler runs steam and hot water baseboards together?

Hi my sister call me over because she was not getting hot water baseboard heat to most of her rooms in the basement. When I went upstairs I noticed steam radiators upstairs. Can a steam boiler be dual with both types of heat? I can't find nothing about boilers that are dual like this.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-17, 04:09 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
R,
Yes it can and is quite common when someone has steam and wants to add heat in an addition or basement.

It has its own circulator and tstat and is run as a separate zone on its own supply and return installed below the water line of the boiler.

Old 02-14-17, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 413 Votes on 387 Posts
spott....I have a pertinent question to ask.
Since boiling water is needed to make steam.... does that mean boiling/VERY hot water is sent thru the hydronic loop ?

Old 02-14-17, 04:45 PM
P,
Yes, it is possible because of the house stat calling at times. That is why we put a bypass loop in from the return to the supply of the hot water loop to temper the boiler supply water with the cooler return water from the loop.

Without it the water in the loop, since it closed and has no place to go when it expands can actually reach boiling point or flash steam which expands the water about 1600 times and can blow solder joints apart.

Sorry for the long explanation. Sometime the fingers just don't when to quit.

Old 02-14-17, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 413 Votes on 387 Posts
No... that's perfect.... thank you. I didn't know the answer and it fits very well with this thread.

Old 02-15-17, 07:18 AM
Thanks spott and pjmax for your interesting question.

Old 02-26-17, 04:59 PM
R,
Yes it can and is quite common when someone has steam and wants to add heat in an addition or basement.

It has its own circulator and tstat and is run as a separate zone on its own supply and return installed below the water line of the boiler.
The boiler is a Well Mclain EG 40. Do you need the steam thermostat on in order for the hot water baseboards to work? What is happening is if I turn off the steam heat thermostat It cuts off the baseboards too and if it's on the baseboards come on. I also noticed when I put the baseboard thermostat on to call for heat it has no control of the boiler to come on. The thermostat for the baseboards is pretty much only acting as a on and off switch. On the other hand when call for heat from the steam thermostat the boiler comes on. Is this normal operation for a setup like this? I was think not if it suppose run as a separate zone.

Old 02-26-17, 05:42 PM
r,
It's not normal. If wired and set up correctly they act as 2 independent zones.

How are you wiring this added zone.

Old 02-26-17, 08:35 PM
I didn't have anything to with the wiring. This my sisters boiler and it was wired by the previous owner. When I get a chance I will investigate and report back.

Old 02-27-17, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Q: How should I control the zone?
A: The simplest way is to use a room thermostat to operate the circulator through a double-pole, single-throw relay such as Honeywell's R845A. You'll also need a single-pole, single-throw, immersion-type aquastat (such as Honeywell's L4006A) to set the maximum boiler temperature when you're not making steam. Wire the controls so the circulator and the burner come on at the same time. The burner will bring the boiler water up to 180 degrees F and no higher. The aquastat sees to that. It will shut the burner off, but the relay will keep the circulator running as long as the room thermostat continues to call. By setting it up this way, you're able to supply hot water to the zone without making steam. As far as the folks upstairs are concerned, the steam system and the hot water zone are totally independent. - See more at: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help....EFwIfrmi.dpuf

Read read read...

https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help...-steam-boiler/

Old 10-23-18, 10:09 AM
Assistance needed

Hi all. New at this site. Have been reading many forums but need assistance with wiring. After many years of using Elecric baseboard to heat basement $$$$$ lost. I finally got a plumber to put in a hot water system tapping off the steam boiler.
My steam boiler is about 10 years old. Well McClain with auto feed and stuff. We tap the system at the lower part and with a taco pump. All wires up and working. Problem is. How do I get the boiler to fire up to make hot water so itís not circulating cold water when the steam boiler part is not fired up. Please diagram of relay and wiring is much appreciated. The plumber does not know how to do this part. He has a aquastat installed but told me thatís to protect the pump so if the steam comes on and the water is too hot close to steam. The pump will be off.
Thabks in advance