Leaking pressure relief valve

Old 03-14-17, 01:07 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking pressure relief valve

Hi I have a slight problem with my water system and its difficult for me to get help so I might have to do it myself. The valve with a gauge on it is the best way I can explain the problem.

Basically before the issue we used to have the central heating on no problem but occasionally this gauge showed the pressure to be too high and water used to spit out of the bottom. So occasionally I used to let some water out to relieve it.

Anyway recently we turned off everything to refill the oil. When I turned it back on water just pisses out of the bottom of this valve and wont stop. It is so bad I have had to turn the water supply to the house off.

I have included as many photos as possible. I will have to somehow deal with this myself although I have never done any plumbing before.
Thanks for reading

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  b3.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  b4.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  b5.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  36.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-14-17 at 09:03 AM. Reason: enlarged/enhanced thumbnail pics
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-17, 06:57 AM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Can you post some better photos? These are rather small and can't be enlarged when I click on them individually. They are also not quite in focus.

In the meantime, tell us the temperature and pressure.

Old 03-14-17, 08:26 AM
S
Received 41 Votes on 39 Posts
g,
What is the name and model number of the boiler. The red tank that is hanging down with the writing on top is your expansion tank and if it looses its air charge will create the problem you described.

I can't tell if that is a shutoff valve between the tank and the boiler but if it is with the boiler off shut the valve off to isolate the tank from the system and at the bottom probably under a plastic cap,that you can unscrew and remove, with a tire pressure gauge, see what the pressure is in the tank. It should be at least 12 psi. If not and is just low it may be able to be recharged with an air pump or compressor to 12-15 psi.

If it cannot be recharged it must be replaced due to a ruptured bladder.

For a quick test, with a screw driver or something metal tap the tank. The top should sound solid and the bottom hollow. If the tank is solid on both it is filled with water and that is your problem and should just be replaced.

You can also push the needle in on the valve and if water comes out that means water has gotten into the bladder and must be replaced.

If that is a valve above the tank you can unscrew the tank and replace. If not you must drain the system as much as needed to remove and replace. Do not forget your pipe dope or Teflon tape.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 03-14-17, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 916 Votes on 856 Posts
I enlarged/enhanced your pictures. The board will accept larger pictures from you.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-14-17, 09:11 AM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
It looks like the word “Charged” written on the tank and a date that looks like the year “11”. I guess if that were correct then maybe the charge hasn’t been checked for 6 years, which I guess would make it past due.

But I can’t make out the writing that well and could be wrong.

Old 03-14-17, 09:35 AM
S
Received 41 Votes on 39 Posts
z,
I enlarged it as much as I could and it does say charged or changed 12/12/11 I think.

Either way it looks as though this problem has occurred before and the tank was most likely the problem or at least worked on.

Old 03-15-17, 12:56 PM
G
Name:  IMG_0655.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  29.4 KBName:  IMG_0656.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  30.3 KBName:  IMG_0657.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  32.4 KBName:  IMG_0658.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  20.6 KBName:  IMG_0659.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  25.2 KB

I took more photos. To add a plumber came around and changed the PRV but when it got up to pressure again it started leaking again.

Also what I find strange is that last night I turned the boiler off and let the pressure out by draining water off. But when I went down stairs it was leaking again. I thought the pressure was cause by the temprature.

The plumber said that we need a new boiler and as we dont speak french he couldn't really explain to us why. He also said the pressuriser tank was OK?! It seams this pressuriser tank only has an inlet at the top and that is it so it.

A new boiler would be terrible for us right now

Thanks for the answers so far.

Old 03-15-17, 10:54 PM
G
Tuned the heating off and mains water.. well looks like when we woke up there was water in the mains. Strange. Not a lot but some

Old 03-15-17, 11:52 PM
G
The mains water pressurises the boiler